Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
testing and short-term gluten free diet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

testing and short-term gluten free diet

Hi all,

I am looking into possibly getting tested for Celiac Disease. I've been having weird symptoms on and off for the past 8 months, and being worked up for MS. I have gotten a panel of other stuff done, but Celiac disease was never suggested to me...probably because my symptoms don't fit and this isn't what I'm looking at but after hearing about it I want to be sure.

The main issue I've been having for the past 8-9 months are chronic vaginal yeast infections. They are almost constant and I've tried every herbal, anti-fungal, and prescription remedy to alleviate the situation. I'm currently on diflucan 2x a week for the past 3 months and still, I expereinced a YI 3 weeks ago, which I got under control with Boric Acid. Hwever, for several months, there wasn't a time where i did NOT have a YI, despite treatment. I was tested for HIV, Diabetes -- both negative-- and even had a full immune system panel which was completely normal, so my immune system works fine. About 2 weeks ago, I started a candida diet...not 100% but pretty darn close for the YI problem. I eat all gluten free (I think I am at least) because of this. Other symptoms I have had in the past 8 months which concerned me for MS are the following: for about 1 month, I had the following symptoms which have NOT returned in the past 6 months: on and off tingling in my arms and legs, some joint pain, muscle pain/weakness, fatigue, and dizziness. I also lost a good amount of weight there for a bit, and wasn't trying to, but I was able to gain it back. Symptoms I have had on and off since then include vision problems, wehre I feel like my eyes can't coordinate, pain/weakness/weird feeling in R arm -- lasts for a few hours and goes away and only happens very infreuqently-- maybe 1x a month or less, and 2x I have seen blood in my stool. I have absolutely NO stomach issues-- no pain, bloating, etc, but I do get diarrhea occasionally, though that has been better in the past few months. I don't think my symptoms are particularly suggestive of CD but want to get it checked out.

My questions are: 1) do you think this could possibly be CD by symptoms or am I totally barking up the wrong tree?
2) To get tested for it, will the 2 week candida/ gluten-free diet make a difference? I know your not supposed to do gluten free while testing, but it will only be 2 weeks this coming Monday. I really would prefer to stick wtih this candida diet to see if it helps my Yi problems, but also want to rule out CD.

Thanks for your input.