Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
testing for ceiliac

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

testing for ceiliac

hi had colonoscopy last week thay took some byeopsys would this be tested for ceilic
also had endoscopy 6 months ago
sorry about spelling
As far as I know a colon biopsy will not test for Celiac Disease. The colon is part of the large intestine (lower down). The Celiac reaction occurs in the small intestine (higher up) and the biopsy done is different.  Most doctors seem to order serum tests to screen for CD. The tests I had were an anti glaiden IgA antibody test, a serum tissue transglutaminase and a food allergy profile for foods which Celiacs are often allergic to. I had an elevated anti glaiden level and many symptoms of CD so instead of having biopsies, ordered the DNA tests at enterolab.com. They showed that I carry a genetic marker for Celiac disease and a genetic marker for Gluten Intolerance. This meant that I was highly at risk to develop CD. I have had considerable improvement on the gluten & casein free diet.
thanx for reply
had a look at site you recomended looks ok but im in england think that emerica
got more blood test next week would this indacate anything regarding ceiliac
read something adout iron ?
i know it wouldnt diagnose celiac but could it show anything wich would suspect celiac
can anyone tell me if you have celiac are some of symtoms (symptoms) when you eat gluten
i seem to get prickly stinging pains legs and stomac up the back
does anyone else have these symptoms
had blood tests today also the box for celiac was ticked didnt thinkyou could be checked via blood test or is there a indication witch meens further testing biopsy maybe
went docs today blood test for ceiliac is going to take another 4 weeks ???????????
might go on gluten free to see if any different,need to do something
i live in england can anyone give me a list of brands and a symple diet to start with
also like a drink any acholic drinks which are safe to drink
thanx
I am not an expert on this topic and am just learning myself.  My understanding is that after the blood tests are done a small intestinal biopsy through an EGD needs to be done for accurate diagnosis.  All the reading I have done on it says to not go on a gluten free diet before taking this biopsy.  I am not positive but I believe you would get false results.  It sounds like ordering a DNA test to see if you carry a genetic marker for CD would be worth your while.  If that shows you have the genetic marker and are at risk to develop I would then try the gluten free diet to see if things improve. Hope this helps.
thanx for reply i know that is the next step but i feel that bad need to try and see if i have any improvemnt i think????????
You can order test online from enterolabs.com, but I don't know if they can do cross Atlantic shipping of specimens. It is an excellent site for resources though. Take a look at it. According to their research, 29% of the population show up positive to gluten sensitivity.
Yes I get a lot of random joint and muscle pain sometimes, and the doctors said this is a common reaction to gluten if I have celiac's. Still waiting for the test result though ...
i also waiting fot blood test results its takes 6 weeks for result only got 2 more weeks also got appointment fot gastro doc to see if he can help im sick ok all the testing wish thay would just find something so i can deal with it
enterolab.com (without the 's') I sent a request to see if they do tests to the UK. I will let you know.
went docs for results of blood test thay have not been done or lost doc not happy im not happy 6 weeks of waiting for nothing ,have to go for test again and wait allover again
I heard back from them. They do ship the tests over to UK.
hi thanks have you herd of the biocard test kit ????????
seems to b a good right up about them.
as anyone tryed them?
The blood tests can be inaccurate and are known to result in false negatives.  I know it is comforting to hear a diagnosis and have results, so if you do plan on having blood or fecal tests, then don't go gluten free until after the testing or it could mess up your results.  However, if you are tired of waiting on doctors and tests that may or may not be accurate, depending on which ones you are getting done then you could just cut out gluten completely and see if you feel better.  That is the best test and it doesn't revolve around whether a doctor knows about Celiacs, or if he is willing to diagnose it.  You were asking about foods/diet, it was simplest for me to just eat natural, whole, unprocessed foods and not take the risk of wondering if something had gluten or not, but there are sights that can tell you if a certain thing has gluten or not.  All unprocessed meats (fish, chicken, beef, steak...) and vegetables and fruits are ok.  Anything with wheat is not ok (no breads, crackers, tortillas), but corn tortillas and corn chips are ok.  For drinking alcohol, wine, tequila, and vodka and/or rum (I can't remember now, but celiacs.com has a list of alcoholic beverages) are ok.  Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide and if you do decide to get tested.
The blood test used to diagnose Celiac Disease gets many false negatives--so blood tests alone are not effective in diagnosing Celiac Disease. The biopsy will only be effective in diagnosing Celiac Disease in a patient if they are currently eating a diet WITH gluten in it. Now, most sensible people would immediately stop eating gluten if they suspected they had Celiac Disease. Since going off a gluten free diet (if you wished to get the biopsy) can be quite painful, many people would opt for another path to get a definitive answer regarding their possible medical condition. Bone density tests will, along with dental exams can be very useful in determining weather a patient in fact has Celiac Disease. Also, since Celiac Disease effects the immune system a record of health from your family doctor/pediatrician may help in finding an accurate diagnosis. Currently in Alberta (Canada) there are studies being done/have been done on Celiac Disease and false negatives in intestinal biopsy in patients who are not on a gluten free diet. I personally know three people (two brothers and their sister) who have all had false negatives on their biopsy, but do in fact have Celiac Disease. Something to do with genetics. The smartest thing to do if you suspect you have Celiac Disease is see a dietician so that you can develop a food plan that will satisfy your nutritional needs, see your doctor regularly and get blood tests every couple of months to make sure your vital nutrient levels are normal, or are beginning to approach a normal level. If you are nutritionally deficient get supplemented for whatever you lack. Celiac Disease is manageable and you can live a long and healthy life provided you take care of yourself by eating a healthy gluten free diet.

Hope this information helps!

thanx for reply
seen gastro specialts yesterday order more blood test
checking everything again just have t wait again had blood test 3 weeks ago for ceiliac still waiting for resuls
i am strongly thinking of going gluten free
will check web sites for gluten free food
i think it might b saver t eat fresh food like u suggested
any idea how long it takes to feel better think i read it is different for everyone
thanx
I started to feel better within two weeks.
Fresh food is definitely the best bet! If you need anything feel free to msg me : )
It is different for everyone depending on the amount of healing that is needed; if the problem has been left untreated for a long time it will take longer.  I honestly started noticing the difference in a week, but really started feeling better in about 2-3 weeks time.  glutenfreeinfo.com has lists of foods and brands that are gluten free.  Also the Website Gluten Free Kitchen has a list of safe foods, recipes, and alcohols (I was wrong about celiacs.com above).

In addition health food stores have many products that specifically will tell you Gluten Free; in fact there is Gluten Free bread and pasta available at health food stores and in some areas regular grocery stores.  Many labels will say "contains wheat products" , or will say "gluten free" for you to know if it is safe or not.  What helped me was to search alot of celiacs and gluten websites to see a list of ingredients to avoid and to remember and look for the key ones on items that I wasn't sure about.

Good luck and let us know how the testing goes.  Since you have done the testing already it couldn't hurt to start gluten free.