Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
vomiting w/ celiac

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

vomiting w/ celiac

I have been diagnosed w/ GERD, IBS, & Celiac.  For the past 6 months I have been vomiting very frequently.  Sometimes I will vomit all day long.  I am concerned about my esophagus.  When I was informed about my Celiac 4yrs ago a biopsy showed severe damage.  I know the vomiting is having some sort of effect due to my throat being irritated.  Is this normal w/ Celiac?  I have tried researching this, but can't seem to find a answer.  Thank you for your time!
Skfutal, are you following a strict celiac diet? And do you know if you're cross-reacting to other things, like casein (the major protein in dairy) that some celiacs cross-react to?

What are you bringing up when you throw up? And how soon after eating? Are you having any pain or other symptoms that are associated with the throwing up - other than the misery that throwing up carries with it.

Throwing up can occur in some with celiac disease, but it's not what could be called typical. I believe you need to look further for an answer.
I am following a very strict diet.  I prepare my meals @ home w/ cooking equipment just for me.  I am unsure about the casein (is there a test that can help me determine this?).  The vomiting occures at different times.  Sometimes it will happend 10-15 min after eating and other times it will just sneak up on me.  I could be in the middle of shopping and it will hit me.  Needless to say I have been very emberaced.  I will bring up food, liquids, stomach acid (when I have times that I vomit all day), and at times blood.  My GI Dr.  said the blood could be from a ulcer.  I do have pain at times that my GI said sounds like gas and/or indigestion (more than likely from my IBS).  I would descibe to pain as a sharp stabbing feeling.  I have tried several different medications in pill form and suppository form.  Nothing seems to help.  I am getting so discouraged because I cant get any answers.  Thanks for your info!
There is a test through enterolab.com to check for casein, and I would think that other labs/facilities have a casein test, too.

If you're seeing blood when you throw up, then you're doc shouldn't be guessing. He should be asking you to schedule a EGD - upper endoscopy to check out the status of your upper digestive system, and probably running some other tests, too. Make sure your liver and pancreatic enzymes are checked.

It sounds like when my gallbladder was full of stones.  I vomited every day for six months.  Celiac disease and gallbladder problems go together.