Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
weight loss with coeliacs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

weight loss with coeliacs

hi when i was diagnosed coeliac i was very overweight but also have underactive thyroid although tests show my levels fine i read coeliacs can have weight problem due to body thinking its being starved to saves calories does anyone know when i cut out the gluten will this affect my weight and how long will it take, before thyroid problems i was slim but cant seem to shift the extra weight
thanks
In the group of people I've worked with who either have celiac disease, or gluten-sensitivity, the majority have weight problems - mostly overweight. The rate of change of weight loss varies, but most start to lose weight within about 8-12 weeks. I know that most individuals believe that diarrhea and underweight are associated with the gluten problems, but that's not always the typical presentation.
thank you for the reply its nice to know maybe i will lose the extra weight as at the moment nothing seems to work i havent gone that long without eating gluten so fingers crossed x
Please make sure to follow-up on the thyroid issues if they are present. If you have an underactive thyroid, you will tend to gain weight no matter what you do and that may counteract a lot of benefit you'll gain by going GF in the 'weight' department. You'll definitely feel better GF, but you'd also be fighting the 'drag' effect of not having the proper amount of thyroid hormone circulating through your body controlling your bodily functions.
the thyroid should be fine i get tested regular and my levels are low as i have to have a suppressive dose due to finding small amount of cancer when i had thyroid removed so i must be absorbing the pills ok, i feel like i have been living with that drag effect for years now so hopefully that will go to thanks
Your thyroid levels should not be low on a suppressive dose. suppression therapy is meant to suppress your TSH production, but you should be on enough medication to keep your thyroid levels normal.

My husband and I were both put on suppression therapy 18 and 16 years ago.  My husband had one large nodule, and they could not rule out cancer, so they removed half his thyroid and put him on suppression therapy.  I had multiple nodules, so mine was less worrysome and they did not feel the need to do surgery.   I stayed on suppression therapy for 10 years.

My husband now has hashimoto's and I have hypothyroidism and central adrenal insufficiency.  

We both take NP thyroid which has T4, T3, T2, T1, and calcitonin---everything your own thyroid makes.

There is no reason your thyroid levels should be low on suppression therapy.

I have 3 children with celiac disease--but they were extremely thin--two have had eating disorders.    I have heard that the reason people with celiac get overweight is because their body is not able to absorb enough nutrients, so their body is feeling starved, so they want to keep eating, but their body never feels nourished.

I'm guessing your weight is more related to your thyroid than it is to celiac.