Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
whats wrong with my child

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

whats wrong with my child

Hopefully someone can help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My daughter is 10 yrs old.  up to about june 10th, she has been a happy, healthy child.  She began having headaches every morning.  This has continued with added symptoms.  She complains of sharp abdominal pain, nausea , weakness and states that she feels like she is getting the flu.  It has inhibited her play with friends and family.  She spends lots of time on the couch and in bed.  She has had blood work including everything down to mono testing and everything is good.  She also underwent a CT scan today and it was also negative.  My child is currently in bed as I am writing, feeling terrible.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong?  Please help
                                                   worriedsickmom
So sorry your daughter is feeling like this. I am not a medical doctor or person but do have Celiac's and have just found out recently although i think i have had it for years and it just progressed to the severe abdominal pain.

Does she have a fever? You can order a Celiac genetic test from Prometheus lab and have your doctor run the blood work. It only takes a few days and if she has the Gene or Genes she has it and is symptomatic.

Some of the other blood tests doctors run as well as biopsy's can have a false negative result. The gene test is 98% accurate.

What are her stools like? Do they float and are light in color, are they solid? Does she have muscle weakness, when i get glutened I have muscle weakness and achiness feel flu'sh. She may not be tolerating wheat and it is in everything. Try really hard to not let her eat anything with wheat for a week and see if the symptoms subside. If she ingests the littlest grain it could flare it up quite easily. Stick with rice, meats, cheese, vegetables and fruit. All fresh nothing prepackaged. Hope this is all that it is because it is really easy to recover and have a normal life. 1 out of 133 people in the US have this and most of the time others are misdiagnosed with IBS, or cholitis. Hope this info has helped and your daughter starts feeling well soon.

Oh ps. If Celiac she can also be lactose intolerant until the villa heal. Stay away from dairy as well for awhile till things calm down, and also oats. I know at first it will be like what can she eat but you will figure it out and we are here to help give suggestions. Wishing her the best.
I think you should take your daughter back for a second opinion.  She is obviously not well and it could be any number of things.  Is there a history of celiac in the family?  I just wonder because you posted your question on here.  It could also be anaemia or glandular fever or just a plain old nasty virus.  The test that 5thave suggested sounds like a good idea if you want to rule out one way or the other whether or not its celiac.

I hope you find your answers soon.

Helen
Have you ever heard on Enterolab?  I am not necessarily promoting them as I have only used them for genetic testing but I belong to another celiac forum where a lot of people swear by their accuracy.  The only thing is that their methods are not really acknowedged my most medical staff.  First, it is all done through the mail.  Genetic testing is done through a cheek swab that they send off to the red cross.  The gluten intolerance test is done through stool samples.  As I said, I have not done this but others have and all have said that those how tested positive did see positive results after going gluten free.  Google the lab and read about them, the doctor who runs it has some interesting ideas and I like that the testing in non invasive.

I would consider asking your physician to check her AM Cortisol level or ACTH level.

Best,

PlateletGal