Cerebral Palsy Community
12 year old son with Cerebral Palsy suddenly having to wear diapers-Ple...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

12 year old son with Cerebral Palsy suddenly having to wear diapers-Please help

I have a 12 year old son with Cerebral Palsy. For the past few years he has been peeing and pooping in his pants on a regular basis.
We've had him to several specialists and they can't seem to find anything wrong with him with regards to his bowels or his kidneys.
Most times the accidents happen when he's concentrating on someting (ie. computer ) or when he's laughing and having fun with his friends. I feel aweful punishing him.The doctors and teachers suggested that I  take away his favorite things. So, I've taken away his favorite things for day's at a time. I've even had him write lines until his had was cramped. Meanwhile I sit in my bedroom crying my eyes out because of guilt. When I ask Liam to explain why he's doing this he say's that he can't feel it coming until it's too late or he gets upset and hits himself calling himself stupid.
Liam is a beautiful child but has tendencies to be very hard on himself. I love him so much and want him to become somewhat independant. Please, if anyone has suggestions on this matter please reply. I don't know where else to go.  
T
perhaps it is something to do with his nerves in his spine that are not getting the signals to his brain. Liam may not be aware of when the bladder is contracting, he may not be able to feel that his bladder is full, it may be something to do with the nerves leading to the bladder although this is more common in people with spina bifida another disability affecting the spine but the neural tube defects are further down the spine. and i don't know what to say about his bowel it may be something to do with the fact his brain doesn't sense the need for the toilet and he may have lost contol of his muscles. hope this helped and raise some issues like these with the doctors they should really be doing more to help find out what is happening to Liam and please remember this is not Liam's fault no one should punish him for it if he can't help it it's not really his fault and it just makes him hate himself for it the school and doctors shouldn't be telling you to punish him they should be trying to find out what it is and help him i admire mothers like you who want to do their best for their child and help them in anyway they can and the first step is asking other people for their advice. x love Kara hope this helped
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi. A common complication of cerebral palsy is incontinence, caused by poor control of the muscles that keep the bladder closed. However, if the urologic cause of bed-wetting, uncontrolled urination during physical activities, or slow leaking of urine throughout the day, further investigation should be made. It could be a spinal cord disorder or psychological trauma from fear of humiliation or rejection. It might be best that you bring your child to a neurologist and psychologist to rule out other possible causes of incontinence. Hope this helps.