Cerebral Palsy Community
16 month old not talking

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

16 month old not talking

I am very concerned about my almost 16 month old son Caden. He was diagnosed with having mild CP about a month ago.  The Neurologist seemed to not be too concerned about it since he is pretty much doing everything normal, but he just has some stiffness in his left ankle. However, he is almost 16 months and not really saying anything besides "mama" and "daddy". There have been a few times where its sounded like maybe he said something like "doggie" or he did say "boo" for peekaboo before. but nothing consistent. He does not say "yes" , "no" or "Up" anything like that.
Should I be concerned?
Leilani
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,

How is your son?The motor disorders of cerebral palsy are often accompanied by disturbances of sensation, perception, cognition, communication,  behaviour, epilepsy, and by secondary musculoskeletal problems. Speech and language disorders are common in people with Cerebral Palsy. It Children with cerebral palsy are at risk of learned helplessness and becoming passive communicators. It is recommended that early intervention such as speech therapy and constant communicating is done. Talk to your son regularly to encourage him also to talk. On the other hand, speech therapy helps control the muscles of the mouth and jaw, and helps improve communication. This is usually done at a later age. Discuss with your doctor about this and proper management for him.

Take care and keep us posted.

I'm a mum of a 30mth old boy with CP. He is only now starting to sound out words other than Ma or Da & basic animal sounds, although cognitively he is at the level of a 24 to 30 mth old. He has been having speech therapy since he was a 1 yr old & this as helped with his eating & drinking & we are now progressing onto another speech therapist who concentrates on speech. We have always made alot of eye contact with him when we speak to him & try to make sure that he looks at our lips as well & exaggerate the pronunciation of the words that we speak to him. Maybe you can get a referral to a speech therapist through your pediatrician? He also has regular growth & development appointments to see how he is tracking cognitively. Hang in there, I find my son always surprises me.
Take care
HI! My son was diagnosed with C.P. in march, hes gonna be 2 this month and he just started saying more things like please and open, before he only said little things like doggie.  We started doing signing time with him and he can sign alot more then he can say.  I most deff recommend the signing time videos and books.  We also got him into speech therapy about 2 months and is showing some progress with it. If your son has an E.I specialist they could help you get the signing time and for speech we had to get a script for it from the doctor. good luck...keep us posted
I am the mother of a 12yr old boy named Dylan and he has cerebral palsey and so far wheelchair bound the list of things he can not do is too long to go into. while  he has brought much joy into my life every thing seems to be a double edged sword. When he accomplishes something he has been trying to do while happy for him I can't help the sadness I feel in my heart that he has been cheated out of so many things that I think every child is entitled to, like jumping rope,riding a bike ,playing football, etc.
  I can not say this enough, if you suspect there is something amis do not listen to your mother or sister or neighbor . Go with your instincts and dont accept that just because he is a doctor that he knows best. You have to be your childs advocate and arm yourself with knowledge. most dr.s  do have your best interest at heart but not all.
  your friends and family will usually tell you what they think you want to hear. Do not delay medical advise and such because time is crucial . A diagnosis of cp is heartbreaking no matter the severity. Try to be strong .
ECI is available in all of texas as far as i know. Early Childhood Intervention was a Godsend. I would not want to think where my son would be at had they not been in our lives. OT, PT and speech tharapy all based on families ability to pay. We lived on SSI so it cost me nothing and they came to my house and every one of them were Angels.
Now I can not attest to what experience you may have with them but mine was life changing for me and my son.
To every one no matter the situation, it will be hard but try to be grateful. It can almost always be worse no matter what you are dealing with. For the majority ,you will end up a better person in the end. More compassion and empathy for those that cannot do for themselves. Thank you for your time and the best of luck!