Cerebral Palsy Community
Adult w/slight CP, suggested exercises, plus wondering about other thin...
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Adult w/slight CP, suggested exercises, plus wondering about other things

This has a few facets, so bear with me.

First, I was diagnosed with very mild CP at birth, I would walk but just didn't have strength as quickly to do thigns like open jars. Now, I'm 40, and just wondering if anyone has this as an adult & how you exercise; I walk a couple miles a day at least or ride my exercise bike. My doctor says that's good for now, but I wonder if anyone has other recommendations.

Second, I only recently learned CP is a neurological condition, not a muscle one as I'd thuoght. An MRI after a fall last year also showed I have a wee bit of Dandy-Walker, but nothing huge to affect my mind; in fact, I've got above-average intelligence.

This makes me wonder about some other things I've got; does anyone experience neurological symptoms like these with CP? I actually wondered if it could be a touch of Asperger's, but one of the big factors for AS *isn't* there.

After reading some posts on here, I have a question regarding some symptoms that seem much like Asperger's, and yet some biggies that don't.

I can be very literal at times, but still get humor very well. I love Abbott and Costello; I think it's hilarious how they take *everything* literally. I don't get sarcasm, but most other jokes, I tend to get, though I'll take something that's said literally till I know the person tends to joke a lot. So, reading people is hard, but I can get by. However, if someone comes at me with something unusual (mistaking me for someone else, for instance) it takes me a few seconds to figure out hw to respond and what's going on. Same with other new situations, unless I can analogize.

I can really focus on one subject. And yet, I love to learn about everything. I always did. I've made it a point to be interested in others' interests, becuase I love to learn. (One problem can be that I don't understand why others wouldn't. So, maybe learning can be an Aspie interest?) I can't converse about every single topic, but I can share some stuff, or at least make jokes to show I'm trying. (Mentioning my first car was a Matchbox, for instance, or reminiscing about my Flintcycle, when other guys discuss cars.) I've got visual and hearing problems, but that doesn't totally eliminte all the senses coming at me in a crowd; I just can't make out faces unless they're really close, in a crowd it's like they all run together. (It's coloboma of the choroid (sp?))

I also enjoy making friends; I don't always discuss deep thigns with them, but I've gotten better at that. I just don't always go up to others right away and start friendships. I also have a very vivid imagination, including a variety of imaginary friends I used; I had names for all 100+ of my stuffed dogs when i was little, and still have many; I feel more comfortable with things I grew up with. In fact, I probbly wouldn't have had the intense stress of my job I did in 2000 and 2001 if I had started talking with them earlier, as it is hard to tell people exactly what I'm feeling.

So, I have a number of Aspergers traits - literalness, wordiness, a slight bit of social awkwardness, having trouble with change - but, the one everyone talks about, I don't have much of. Are there other things besides Asperger's that coudl account for the others? Can Cerebral palsy, or Dandy-Walker? It's like I don't have one big thing (well, except for the vision and hearing), it's like instead, I have a number of little congenital conditions.