Cerebral Palsy Community
CYSTIC ENCEPHALOMALACIA

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

CYSTIC ENCEPHALOMALACIA

DAER DOC,
I HAVE A SON , HIS DOB IS 25 TH MAY 09. HE WAS BORN WITH PREMATUIRITY ( 30 +).
VENTILAOTR AND NICU SUPPORT GIVEN FOR INITIAL 10 DAY TO OVERCOME POST BIRTH RESPIRATORY DISTRESS.
MRI OF BRAIN DONE AFTER FEW DAYS , AND IT IS FOUND CYSTIC ENCEPHALOMALACIA ???

MY Q ARE
1. IS IT OBVIOUS THAT MY BABY WILL HAVE CERTAIN DISABILITIES ?
  2. IS MYOLINATION OF BRAIN CELL IS BEING COMPLETED IN PRE TERM BABIES ?
3 . IS THERE ANY TREATMENT OPTIONS FOR THIS DIEASES/
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello!
Any infection, infarction or trauma can give rise to cystic encephalomalacia.It is characterized with the formation of cavitations and septations and destruction of brain parenchyma. Hypoxia is the commonest cause of this condition. In cystic encephalomalacia, the brain parenchyma is involved, not the periventricular area. There is significant residual neurologic deficit in this condition. The infant brain nearly triples in size from birth through the first year; brain development finishes by 2 years of age though cognitive development continues. Any insult or damage to the growing brain can lead to developmental delays. Treatment for this condition is only symptomatic and supportive. Treatment of the associated symptoms, physiotherapy and early intervention programs are helpful. Do discuss your concerns with a Pediatric neurologist. He will be able to suggest best after clinical examination. Hope it really helps.
Best wishes!
Dear Shuvanjan,

Hope You kid is alright. Bcoz i read this today. I too have kid with same issue. Now he is 3.6Yrs. Right side development is very slow and weak else he is very much normal.

Regards
Vanitha
cystic encephalomalacia in right frontal lobe white matter
what has to be done
Dear Vanithahi there,... my name is Adrian.. I have a lil baby girl with the same being diagnosed. could you please tell how is your 3.6 years old kid doing ... what do you observe.. My lil baby girl reacts to colors and sound by the grace of God but is unable identify the direction and react to it. Please help me with any suggestion or guidance you feel worked in your case. Will ensure to keep you and your family in my prayers.

God bless you.