Cerebral Palsy Community
Celebral Palsy treatment for a 1.5 year baby
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Celebral Palsy treatment for a 1.5 year baby

Hi, My son was born after lot of complication. He was sent to NICU immediately after birth and spent one month there before getting dicharged. Due to lack of oxygen during his birth his brain cells got damaged and he had few convulsions at birth time. He was on Gardinal for next few months as Brain MRI & EEG was showing brain cell damange. After 5 months my son started getting jerks - 10-15 times a day. We met one Epileptologist who did EEG and found that my son is having "West syndrome" and started Valparin & 1/2 tablet of Sabril. Within 2 weeks all the jerks went away and it appeared that everything would become normal. After around 6 weeks the doc increased the Sabril dose to 1/4 - 0 -1/2 tablet. Although my son did not have any jerks but he was not showing any growth signs. He had very poor neck control, eye contact and body movement like rolling etc.

We are continuing this medicine (Valprin, Sabril, Brain Wise, B-Long and Liofen) for almost a year now but still the development of my son is very poort. His body muscles are still stiff and there is no eye contact yet. We are also taking him for 1 hour session with Occupassional Therapist daily still the development is very slow and muscles are very stiff. Only good part is that his neck control has become better, he has not had any jerks for more than a year now and he smiles both while sleeping and awake.

Can somebody please advise us regarding treatment of my son's CP. We don't know much about this disease and some of the doctors that we met told us that my son will ever be like this. Please help us with your suggestions and point us to good doctor in Pune/Mumbai (India) area.