Cerebral Palsy Community
Child with CP who screams
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Child with CP who screams

My son with CP is 6 years old.  He doesn't speak words, he is in a wheelchair.  But he can be very lively physically and can laugh often.

But there are times when he suddenly gets into uncontrollable screaming fits, when we can't reason with him.  This is especially difficult if we are out in public, for example when it happens if we are at his sister's or brother's basketball or hockey games.  He could be doing just great, then in an instant we are scrambling to deal with a screaming fit, and we can't get him to understand.  We never know which kid will show up.  We are exasperated.

Does anyone have any advice for how we need to address this to bring his screaming under control?

Thank you very much for your help.