Cerebral Palsy Community
Could I have mild cp?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

Could I have mild cp?

I am 28 years old and have been suffering from neuromuscular problems all my life. I have muscle twitches all over my body, the ones in my face I know I have had since birth. I have trouble gripping or holding things for any period of time although my grip itself is strong. I dropped stuff all the time as a child and it really hurts to hold things now. I have always walked with a slight limp, my right leg is shorter than my left. My muscles always seem tight. I was a runner in high school and college, but it was not easy. I was really good, but was also always injured and people quite often remarked on my extremely unusaul gate. I eventually had to stop competative running because the pain got to bad. I always seem to have high muscle tone, even when I havent worked out for a couple of years. my back is stiff and i have horrible posture. I get a lot of muscle cramps, pain, tingling, ect. I have been diagnosed with numbness in one foot and hyper sensitive nerves. There is much more but I would run out of time. I dont know much about my medical history as a child except that my twin and I were very sick and in nicu for a long while when we were born. He has seizures and other health problems as well. i used to pass out a lot as a child. we were not very well cared for and never saw a dr. We had developmental delays as toddlers but out grew most of those. An mr i had about 5 years ago suggested possible evidence of an old stroke. my new neuro has mentioned a slight bit of concern about it, but thought an old stroke at my age was unlikely. this was before i found out about my birth issues. My mom mentioned numerous times that they thought I had cp when i was younger, but she has a wild imagination and I dont know how much of that story is true at this time. I am searching for medical record from my birth but I dont know if the hospital still has them. So, all that to ask; is it possible that I have a very mild form of cp?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Yes, cerebral palsy is a possibility and so also birth injuries affecting the brain. Both the conditions can persist from childhood. I would also suggest you get the blood levels of the following checked if they have not already been checked: potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium, vitamin B complex, or vitamins B1, B3, or B6 and Vitamin D. Generally deficiencies of any of the above can cause muscle twitching and spasms in localized or generalized areas of the body. Get your kidney function, parathyroid gland function and adrenal function tests done because these affect the electrolyte balance in the body. Calcium and bone metabolism, if not proper, can also precipitate similar symptoms.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Take care!