Cerebral Palsy Community
Daughter with possible Cerebral Palsy

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

Daughter with possible Cerebral Palsy

My 8 month old daughter is presenting signs of cp. When she was born at 37 weeks, she suffered hypoxia  due to an unknown placental abruption. She spent 18 days in the nicu and was put on phenobarbital because she was having possible seizures. At 3 months old she appeared to be ok, and was weaned off of the phenobarb. At 5 months she began having focal seizures and was put back onto the phenobarb. At this time she had an MRI showing that she has moderate atrophy in her brain. She has reached some of her milestones and is very responsive, but she does not always focus on people or objects, cannot manipulate objects, and she still needs a bit of support to sit up. She is receiving early intervention and she also sees a number of specialists. She is my first child and I would like to do everything I can for her. This is all very scary because I do not know what she is capable of but I do know that the 1st 3 years of her life are very important. Is there anything else I can be doing for her?
I was told that my child would never be able to do anything. Eat, see, hear, and certainly never walk. She also had seizures and was on phenobarbital the first year of her life. It kinda kept her somewhat sleepy all the time and it was hard to keep her awake long enough to work with her. She will be 3 in march and is walking all over the place. It's been a long hard road but you have to have faith and believe in a higher power. Physical therapy is so important. My daughter received only Early Intervention for the first 2 years of her life and made very little progress. They only worked with her for about 30 minutes, twice a month. CP children need way more than that, and it seems to work better when it is someone else working with them besides parents. So back in May I put her in private therapy twice a week, and since then she has went from barely sitting up alone to walking.She will start school in March with her sister.It has been amazing. Just keep working with her and you will be amazed what she will be able to accomplish.
thankyou so much for your post. I pray all the time. I am so happy that your child is doing so well. I constantly do all of the therapy the physical, and occupational therapists do with Vienna. She started about a month ago and she is a lot closer to sitting up. She can now hold the position for a few seconds. Where do you take your child for physical therapy?