Cerebral Palsy Community
Does my daughter have CP?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

Does my daughter have CP?

My daughter has spastic diplegia and wears AFO's and gets physical therapy.  All three MRI's (brain, spine, hips) came back clear.  She does not have any cognitive delay.  Is she "part" CP?
From your post, I am assuming no abnormalities in the brain were found on MRI.  I am not a doctor, so don't take my opinion very seriously, but I believe CP has to be a result of brain damage and in 99% of the cases, MRI does pick up that brain damage.  So perhaps your daughter doesn't have CP.

I, myself, am a 24 year old female with CP (spastic diplegia) which was caused by complications of premature birth.  CP (especially spastic diplegia and especially in preemies) is often caused by damage to the periventricular white matter of the brain (called periventricular leukomalacia or PVL for short).  This is the type of brain damage that my MRI shows.  I don't have mental retardation (my overall IQ is average, however my Verbal IQ is in the very superior range and Performance IQ in the borderline range which means I have a significant learning disability).  This translates to deficits in combination and structuring, reading comprehension and memory/learning of new information.

So basically, I told you all I know.  Hope it helps.  Of course, your doctor is the best resource for your questions.
Actually, you were a pretty good resource !  All dr's ask me if my daughter was premature, but she wasn't.  I think she is just a little conundrum !  Thanks so much for responding w/ your thoughts.  
Hi, My son is 12 now. He has Spastic Diplegic CP. He also had an MRI and CT done years ago and showed possible stroke at birth. He was tangled in utero before i gave birth and his face was dark purple when he was born and was unresponsive for awhile. BUT he was tested (IQ) at school 2 years ago and the results state that he has a very high IQ, and wouldn't qualify for any special ed programs.
He also wasn't premature either - i think it was mainly due to the tramatic birth.
He wears metal Dynasplints on his legs and we've been doing physical therapy for the past 10 years.
So it is poss. to have CP and not have any mental retardation as itsmethere said ealier to you. He does have memory issues and reading comp. issues and gets extra help in some of his classes.
Dont know if this any help to you, i just wanted to share my story with you.
Thanks so much.  It is good to know that others have spastic diplegia w/ no other serious issues. thanks.
Hi my name is Ashley, I'm 22 and have Spastic Diplegic CP.
Cerebral Palsy doesn't always present with malformation of the brain, it is sort of an umbrella term for a number of similar muscular disorders. Spastic Diplegia is considered as part of the CP family. And cognitive delay is not usually a part of the diagnostic testing for CP. But if someday she does develop a learning disability, it isn't the end.

I have an IQ of 140 despite having a learning disability in the area of math. I cannot even balance a cheque book, but with tutoring I am in my second year of college for teaching music; which, is a heavily math based study. I am currently at a 3.78 GPA. The point is, despite having CP and a learning disability, I am doing what I want and as best as I can. I too wear leg braces.

Remember, your daughter can do anything she wants when she puts her mind to it.

Sincerely
Ashley