Cerebral Palsy Community
Exercise question

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

Exercise question

I am a 39 year old who has had mild cp since birth. I have always been very active and want to be able to continue that. However, I am starting to have more and more issues that I believe are related to the cp. Since I was 14 I have worked out regularly and vigorously doing cardio and lifting weights.

I am now at a crossroads not knowing what to do or not to do.

Have any of you been told from your doctors what kinds of exercising you should and shouldn't do? Also how much you should or shouldn't do?

I am afraid that if I continue like I have that I will break down faster. I am having so much trouble with my knees and hips now that I am not even sure that I can work out like I normally do. I haven't done much the last couple of months because I had injured my finger and then ended up sick for awhile after that. Now that I want to start again, though, I am having so much knee and hip pain that I am hardly functioning even in my normal living. Just going up my stairs is painful.

I would love to know what any of you have learned about what we should or shouldn't be doing as far as exercise and activity levels.

Thanks!

Hi!
Thankfully cerebral palsy is not a progressive disease. So, you can do any exercise that your body allows you to do. However, to prevent injuries, it is important to do the exercises correctly. The right technique, the right force, and the right time and effort is important. If you are overdoing in order to keep yourself fit, then also you will tire out. Also you need to drink adequate fluids and maintain your electrolyte balance while exercising. If you are having joint pains then this could be due to overuse or injured ligaments or due to arthritis. Please get this investigated. If there is no problem with joints, please resume exercises (if given a go ahead by your doctor) under a trained physical trainer preferably specializing in nerve and joint disorders. Slowly build up your stamina through right combination of exercises and a healthy diet. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me, I appreciate it!