Cerebral Palsy Community
Life expectancy of a teen with cerebal palsy
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Life expectancy of a teen with cerebal palsy

I am wondering what the life expectancy of a teen with cerebal palsy is.  This young man is 16 and has scoliosis of the spine also. He was born prematurely and has had it since birth.
Tags: teens
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I am a 25 year old young woman with cerebral palsy who was born prematurely as well and probably has her cerebral palsy as a result of complications of premature birth.  I'd assume the young man has spastic diplegia, the most common type of CP following premature birth.  Just curious, is the damage to his brain called periventricular leukomalacia (PVL)?

From what I know (I am not a medical person so take my opinion with a grain of salt), people with spastic diplegia have normal life expectancy.  They may, however, deteriorate physically as they age.  So it might get progressively harder for him to walk as he ages.  So if he walks now, he might end up with crutches or in a wheel chair when he is old.  That's pretty much all I know on the issue.
Blank
298824_tn?1349958777
My daughter will be 12 soon...I was told a normal life expectancy...
Blank
People with CP have a normal life expectancy. Aging does cause more complications with brittle bones and poor posture though (leading to stress on the heart). It depends how severe the CP is. I have read that it takes someone with CP 5 times more energy to walk or run than it does for someone without CP.

I have hemiplegia CP, born premature and lacking oxygen. I'm 26 and have two children, I live a normal life, but with back, hip and foot pain on my left side, weak muscles and unable to straighten my arm and leg.
Blank
1917636_tn?1322462548
Im 32 have 2 children am married have lived since birth with cerebal palsy on the rt side. i'm a high school with some college and never thought my life was going to be any shorter than any other person.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Cerebral Palsy Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...