Cerebral Palsy Community
Muscle twiches

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

Muscle twiches

My daughter aged 14, facing the "involntory movements of the muscles of the legs".  She has been diagnosed as "CP-diplegic" where both legs are effected.  she walks with the help of walker.  She has undergone surgery on her legs at the age of 5.  At the time of healing from the surgery, she felt the involuntary movements of the legs and it was told that it is because the legs are weak and will be OK, once physiotherapy given.  As told, it has reduced gradually.

After a long gap, again, I find the same problem.  It is frequent when she sleeps. suddenly legs start jerky movements.  Can you explain why ? and what would be corrective actions.
My 18 year old son has the same problem with muscle jerks and spasms in his back, shoulders, and arms.  No one seems to be able to give us a concrete answer as to why or what we can do to help with it.  
have you considered Restless Leg Syndrom (syndrome)?
I have RLS from time to time, I dont twitch, but I think in some cases people do.
My daughter is 18 months old and was just diagnosed with "mild" cerebral palsy that does not seem so mild when uncontrollable arm movements called choreathetiod movements kick in when she is tired. Perhaps the neurologist could rule these out in your daughter.  If not, they can also rule out Restless leg syndrome.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi. Your child could be suffering from Periodic limb (leg) movement disorder (PLMD), a condition where repetitive cramping or jerking of the legs occurs during sleep. PLMD is also considered a sleep disorder, because the movements often disrupt sleep every 20 to 40 seconds and lead to daytime sleepiness. PLMD is often confused with restless legs syndrome, but they are not the same thing. Restless legs syndrome is a condition involving strange sensations in the legs (and sometimes arms) while awake and an irresistible urge to move the limbs to relieve the sensations.
On the contrary, PLMD occurs during sleep. It is believed to be caused by an underlying medical problem. Primary PLMD has been linked to abnormalities in regulation of nerves travelling from the brain to the limbs, but the exact nature of these abnormalities is not known. Secondary PLMD may be caused by diabetes mellitus, iron deficiency anemia, medications, spinal tumors/disorders, sleep apnea or uremia.
There is no lab test or imaging study that can prove that you have PLMD. However, certain tests like blood tests, polysomnography and urine samples can identify underlying medical causes such as anemia, other deficiencies, and metabolic disorders that could cause PLMD.
Treatment involves medication that either reduces the movements or helps the person sleep through the movements. To know more about PLMD, consult your doctor.