Pros and cons of surgery
I am a 33 yr old male with mild CP. I have full function of my arms but over the last few yrs I am walking more and more on my toes and my balance has become a lot worse. Recently I broke a toe on my right foot because of the change in my gait. It has been recommended for me to have mid-foot fusion surgery as well as achilles tendon lengthening surgery. I was wondering if anybody here has had the surgery? What the risks are? other treatments or alternatives I should be looking at?
Hi. The treatment for toe injury depends on the severity of fracture or displacement. In most cases, a broken toe may be treated with rest, splinting, buddy-taping and surgery, if needed. Unless arthritis and gait abnormality worsen, additional correction surgery may be justified. However, if you have doubts regarding midfoot fusion and achilles tendon lengthening surgery, I suggest that you seek another orthopedic surgeon for a second opinion. Hope this helps.
Hi there. I am a 34 yr old female with CP I started having surgery for numerous things from the time I was a baby majority being tendon lengthening. I highly recommend it myself. Your gate will improve tremendously, and your confidence will for sure soar because you will not feel the struggle to move as you do now. The risks are miminal although obviously everyone is different so I still advice you to seek a specialist. Recovery time is not as bad as you may think. The only thing I do suggest is that after surgery and recovery you continue to be as active as possible. This is important at all times but even more so in the case of people with our condition! Best of luck and I hope it all works out! :)
My daughter is 7 and is scheduled to have achilles tendon lengthening next week.  I am very nervous.  She has mild cp and has had botox every year since she was 3.  I am hoping this is a more permanent solution for less interruption in her life.  Does anyone have any advice for the best results from this procedure?