Cerebral Palsy Community
What does the change mean?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

What does the change mean?

Jaidyn , my grandson, is 16 months old now. He has been getting occupational therapy since he was 8 months old. They have just switched him over to physical therapy. He still can't walk by himself and when he walks behind his baby walker, he walks on the sides of his feet because his ankles are too weak. What if anything does the change from occupational to physical therapy mean?
Hi!
If you have an excellent relationship with Jaidyn’s mother or your daughter, then you can ask her to talk to her pediatrician regarding the following points:
What could be the likely cause for his condition?
What is the likely diagnosis?
What are the other possibilities?
Would his muscle tone, gait, speech, ankle weakness recover?
What neurological diseases and causes should be looked into?

This way you need not mention CP but when asked the pediatrician will give all the likely causes which may include CP. Once your daughter shares this with, you can follow up on likely causes depending on your pediatrician’s suggestion on what fits best. Also your daughter can discuss this with a neurologist. Take care!
Jaidyn, at 16 months is still unable to walk on his own. He can walk along the sofa and has tried to walk on his own however he falls after one step. He still doesn't speak much. He has said "up" when he wanted his mother to pick him up, but still very rarely even says "mama" or "dada." He only speaks when he wants to. He will not be getting physical therapy for 3 weeks because school is out for the summer. I worry about him, but realize I just have to be patient. He will eventually be diagnosed. any encouragement will be appreciated.
Would it be okay if I suggested that my daughter, Jaidyn's mother, talk to Jaidyn's pediatrician about CP? My daughter and I have an excellent relationship. She has told me that I was always there for her as she was growing up. I don't want to stick my nose in her business, but I am really worried. How would you feel if it was suggested to you that you should talk to your child's ped. about the possibility of CP?
Hi!
What is the likely diagnosis?
What are the other possibilities?

Thank you so much for your input. I am going to follow your advice and suggest that Kerri get her pediatrician's thoughts on these questions.

Hello again. Jaidyn just had his 18 month checkup and my daughter asked his pediatrician about CP. The Dr. was noncommital and said it wasn't any thing they needed to jump on right now. They are making sure that he is getting all he needs for now. He had been getting ocupational therapy since 8 months old.  They changed to physical therapy about 2 months ago, and added a teacher about 2 weeks ago. At his checkup today the dr. arranged for him to have an additional physical therapy that they will need to  take him to once a week. He will have two P.T. sessions a week, and a teacher will see him at his home once a month. The pediatrician is also putting him on a waiting list to see a Child Developmental Specialist. They said it will take about 6 months before he will actually see the specialist. Although they have not yet diagnosed him with CP he is getting all the care CP children receive. She is also scheduling him to get a hearing test.

To me all these appointments indicate a strong possibility that Jaidyn does have C.P., but they aren't ready to diagnose him with it.