Cerebral Palsy Community
adult with mild spastic diplegia

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

adult with mild spastic diplegia

I was diagnosed around 6 months of age with mild spasric diplegia and I was placed in a wonderful school for kids with CP where I received daily PT and saw specialists frequently. I went from dragging both legs to walking with both feet inwards to just a limp. I have almost no muscle on the left side, but have no visible issues, other than balance.

I have always put the CP in the back of my mind, thinking that I had outgrown it.

I am now 37 and have been dealing with dysautonomia, arthritis, fibromyalgia, constant fatigue (supposedly from the fibromyalgia) I have just started to have vision problems in the past 5 years and was diagnosed with strabismus which is getting progressively worse.

I know wonder now if these other problems are actually from the CP and if I should be treating them differently.  I feel like no one believes I have constant pain and think I'm just being lazy because I am always tired, even though I take provigil daily.

If I can find a different mode of treatment to feel better, I would definitely try.

Does anyone have similar experience?

thank you!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi. Do you have soft skin, hypermobile joints, atypical ears, droopy eyelids, blue sclera and long fingers and feet? If you do, it is possible that you have Ehlers-Danlos type III, also called Joint Hypermobility Syndrome (JHS). Ehlers-Danlos type III is a characterized with dysautonomia, fibromyalgia, nearsightedness and strabismus, easy bruising, low muscle tone and weakness, intolerance to prolonged hot baths or sauna, and osteoarthritis due to poor connective tissue formation. There is no known cure for Ehlers- Danlos Syndrome. The treatment is supportive. Close monitoring of the cardiovascular system, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and orthopedic instruments (e.g. wheelchairs, bracing) may be helpful. If you think you have this disease, you may ask your doctor for medical advice. Hope this helps.
hey ,, i recently  realized that i might be having spastic deplegia  . I have the symptoms and i have constant back pain and weakness in my legs  which ends up with a severe fatigue attack ,, i have been given lots of pain killers /cns depressing agents ...( pregabalin , gabapentin , tramadol , amitryptilline) and went through side effects and withdrawal symptoms . Nowadays i try managing it with excercise ,, its not easy but lets hope that it would work