Cerebral Palsy Community
anyone else out there ?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

anyone else out there ?

I had a phone call tonight from our consultant to give us the results of my 20 month old son's mri results he went onto tell us that he has hypertonia caused by lack of oxygen to the brain at birth on looking up hypertonia it says when the the brain injury occurs in under 2s it is most often called cerebral palsy.  Just wondering if anyone else out there is going through this......... at present riley is unable to pull himself in seating and when we do sit him up he falls after a few minutes he is unable to weight bare at all at the moment he just flops in the middle.  He has ok fine motorskills but at times his movents seem very padded, we see the physios and the ots now so hopefully we will make progress i no we wont no his prognosis until he does things or doesnt do things but just really wanted to hear from either mums who are going through this or doctors who could give me a little more insight than the short phonecall i had tonight obviously i will speak more to the consultant at my next appointment but we now dnt see him until the 18th october
thanks all
Avatar_dr_f_tn
I am sorry to hear about your son. Cerebral palsy is a static non progressive encephalopathy which occurs due to hypoxic damage to the brain before, during or soon after birth. Cerebral palsy is a complex and diverse condition affecting motor movements, muscle tone and coordination. It causes muscle tightness or spasticity, gait disturbances, depending on which areas of the brain are affected it may be associated with swallowing difficulties,speech problems, abnormal sensation and perception,seizures,and/or mental retardation, bladder/bowel problems and learning disabilities. A team approach is necessary for improving quality of life in such children. Medications for relieving spacticity, physiotherapy, treatment of associated problems like GERD, providing adequate nutrition and control of seizures is important. Hope it really helps.
Take care and kind regards!