Cerebral Palsy Community
are there any adults here with mild CP?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

are there any adults here with mild CP?

I was born with mild CP. The spacicity was in my legs and with the help of braces and therapy, I was able to walk "normal".

I am now 38. I have always had almost no muscle on the left side of my body. If I was very tired, sometimed I would get a little limp,but that's all.

Now, I have been having neuropathy, and most recently spacicity in arms and legs that becomes quite  painful.

Sometimes, I notice my fingers and toes sticking together.

What I'm wondering is do any other adults with mild CP have these symptoms?

The dr's have no idea what is causing my issues.

Thank you for reading
I'm 34 and have mild right spastic cp. The only thing I can possibly think of is that the cp is taking it's toll on your body. Keep in mind, I haven't seen a doctor in years and I'm the only person I know with cp, so I'm just going by my own experiences and what I've noticed with me and my own body. I've noticed that my body has been getting worse over the past 5 years or so. My muscles seem to spasm more often with greater intensity, and it takes less to trigger the spasms too. My joints are damaged which causes the pain and spasms sometimes and also causes them to not work as well, or respond as well, as they use to. My toes and fingers seem to stick as well (i.e. refuses to move when I try to will them to move, and sometimes they don't even feel like they are there at times). Over the past couple of years, I've noticed that they also look like they're bending off to the side, possibly due to arthritis is my guess. Most of my muscles also refuse to activate as fast as they used to after resting for any length of time too.

I'm not completely sure why all this is happenning, I don't remember it being quite this bad when I was younger, but my guess is the cp has damaged and redamaged my muscles, joints, ligaments and tendons so many times over the years, that my body is just less able to cope with it all now. It just doesn't seem to bounce back as fast as it used to.  I'm guessing that's what you might be experiencing. I've been reading articles and blogs in bits and pieces online about cp and aging (on the rare occassions I can find them), and it seems that our bodies tend to breakdown a bit faster than the bodies of able-bodied people. After a while, we start to lose our laxicity in our muscles because of normal aging, plus the extra damage we deal with due to the spasms. Sounds wierd, I know, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. So I guess it's possible that is what is happening to you. But I don't know, I could be wrong.
I wrote a post about my 7 year old son who has cp and was wondering if you would read it and tell me if this sounds like somethings you went through at his age. If so what do you think will help me to better approach him and his therapist when he starts talking with one. I have never met anyone with cp as an adult so I am glad to be able to talk with someone who has been there. I need a better understanding of cp and what to exspect with my son. also mamiJ if you would give me some imput as well.
I am 33 years old with mild CP. I have noticed similar to eagle 51 that my CP has become worse over the last 5 yrs. I walk much more on my toes and my balance has become a lot worse. I am debating having achilles tendon lengthening surgery and mid-foot fusion to help me out. My fingers and toes aren't sticking togeher yet.
My son had CP...spastic-athetoid quad. So he never walked. However...he had an intrathecal baclofen pumped placed in 2001 with AMAZING success!
He was non-verbal, so I could only judge what I saw. Since his tone was so high, it was never easy to hold him, he was unable to sit, etc. After the pump, I could hold him without a struggle...I would sit him on the side of his bed and his feet DANGLED!!!!!
With that in mind, I suggest a visit to a spasticity clinic and an ITB trial. The trial is pretty simple...they release baclofen into the intrathecal space. Totally reversible (as is the actual implantation).
I have mild Spastic Cerebral Palsy diplegia, meaning that it is in both of my legs more than in my arms. I am fifty years old now and soon to be 51,and yes I have noticed many health complications too that are really affecting my life. The latest is not being able to hold a baking pan for more than a second without it falling. I have also had probelms with conspitation and dirreahra as if my body can not make up its mind as to what it wants to do or not do.  I still reflux from time to time but it is not as bad as it was in my childhood. My weight is a constant problem since it goes up and down, and I have probelms with leg cramps.  My fingers and toes are not sticking together as of yet, but I have had problems controlling my fingers on the keyboard.
I have a friend with CP,but I never knew it in high school.She seems to have problems walking now as she is now in her 50's. Why
I am a soon to be 50yr old wiht mild CP. I too have noticed changes in my overall health. I have noticed more muscle tightness and spasms in my neck and shoulders. At 38 I had a two level cervical fusion from a car accident that has certainly accelerated many of the aches and pains. I have found it more difficult doing everyday activities.
I have a great job and live a fairly normal life and learning how to adapt as I get older I feel is the key.
I am thankful to have found this forum as I think we can all benifit form eachother.
We have a family friend, 36 with cp.He has been getting progressively worse the past couple years - has been seen by Mayo with so far little to no progress.  He is in constant pain with headaches, lower backaches and can't even remember conversations.  He suffers with eating disorders and has lost a lot of weight.  No one seems to be able to get the pain under control. He still lives independently but has been approved for a caregiver.  I am not sure if he should be in a home care environment or how to help him with his pain.  Any ideas.  He is currently in the hospital and being checked out by a neurologist at barrow's so we hope for thebest.
I'm 35 and I have mild spastic CP (left side). I've noticed a couple of the things you talked about in me.  First of all, sorry about the pain you're in...That has to be frustrating at times.  I notice that sometimes my toes and fingers "stick" or "lock" if you will.  At fifteen I had the surgery you mentioned in your post (left side). For me, it certainly helped & people noticed it. (improvement).  But I've noticed that as I've gotten a bit older, I have to make more of a conscious effort to get that heel on the floor, because the muscles have gotten a bit lazy.  I've begun (again) doing stretching exercises that were suggested to me by my doctor back when I had the surgery to sort of " train" that tendon to stretch (gently) and the heel to stay on the floor (better).  I'm no doctor, of course, but I think, that for anyone, as they get a little older, the muscles are not as toned, they become weaker (in general) and they don't bounce back like they do when we're kids and we're still growing & we have plenty of rushing hormones.  Add to this the stiffness and spasticity of CP...and well, we have some challenges don't we?  I know, for me, I have to make more of a conscious effort to stretch and move around.  This really bites when most physical exercise is painful, because CP muscles are resistant to it. (Ouch!). Just do what you can.  For me, I try to get up and walk around periodically throughout the day (it could be around the living room or down the hall).  This simply reminds my brain to move the muscles.  I find this makes a difference for me.  I also periodically flex my toes throughout the day.  Sometimes I can't because... They're stuck.  So I take my foot and separate the toes and then flex them.  Sometimes I rub them a little, this seems to lessen the stiffness.  Sometimes I'll stand up and walk and purposely put that heel on the floor, slowly, each step. (If this is painful, I'd talk to a doctor or a PT first).  But generally, living with CP I can tell the good "ache" of needing to be stretched :). Sometimes it's hard for me to tell whether things are "locked" up because I have not moved enough, or because I've done too much, & muscles are over worked.  Anyway, hope that helps :)
I am 40 and was diagnosed a week ago with mild C.P. I had the braces on my legs growing up and other problems but was never diagnosed. I am seeing a neurologist, who is very nice and listens. I looked mild c.p. up and it was as if they wrote a text book on me as a child. I am having alot of things going on now: memory loss of words, weakness on my right side in extremities, trouble holding things, muscle spasms, constipation, weight loss, balance issues when walking, double vision and on and on. I have R.A. also and get monthly infusions and that helps. My knees are getting VERY painful and I get cortisone and sinvisc injections butt they aren't helping like before. I am a very active person but don't have the energy like I used to and it's making me mad.
Happy to find this blog and know I am not alone.
I too was "diagnosed" by a couple of specialists just recently. I'm 40. I quote diagnosed, because it wasn't anything official but just a "yeah, that's probably what it was, but it's hard to know 100%." I have a smaller left leg, significantly smaller left foot and little flexibility. Muscle tone is significantly less than the right. But I didn't have spasticity but I can relate to some of the comments above to some extent. I've never had much grip strength, balance is poor, and I grew up thinking that toes didn't flex. I can move them, but only a little. So the last month has been incredibly eye-opening for me, filled with a variety of emotions (after seeing 4 specialists in the last few months). I'm grateful that I am able to do what I can. And I'm starting to get some insight into what is possibly causing the issues I'm having. But I'm very active, and I'm noticing in the last 2 years a significant increase in injuries and decrease in performance. I get spasms in my back frequently despite activity. I've seen a decline in performance of my left leg, despite a gastroc lengthening surgery (and surgery to cut and pull my foot bone out - to straighten it).

I'm considering botox which is supposed to increase flexibility and mobility. I've had PF in both of my feet ever since the above surgery (5 years now). I just had a plantar platelet injection procedure on one foot to see if that helps (crossing finger). may have a PF release surgery on my left if things don't improve.

Unfortunately I don't have any insight. I'm new to this scene and posting this has been somewhat cathartic. And reading your stories has been very helpful. so thanks
To All:
This forum is the first I've seen related to CP and adults. I am a 51 yr old male who works as an administrator for a local government in FL. I am also an adjunct professor teaching Developmental and General Psychology as well as Research. These teaching expreriences have given me an opportunity to tell my CP story.

I was born with mild hemaplegic CP affecting the right side. I have decreased dexterity in the right hand and foot compared to the left. While my fingers don't stick together, my toes on my right foot often do. I am left handed (obviously) and have learned to adapt to my limitations. I type with one hand and am blessed enough to be able to make a livining with my mind instead of my back (or my looks!).

I first noticed debilitating low back pain at the age of 7. Orthopedic doctors knew I had CP but could not determine the cause of the pain. After a spinal tap and other treatments, as a last resort they suggested to my father to take me to a chiropractor. My father carried me into the Chiropractor's office. He laid me down on the padded bench (no fancy tables back then) and the doctor did about three adjustments on me. I got up and walked out feeling 100% better. Thus, chiropractic has been a regular part of my health care since that time. As I have aged, I have noticed "flare ups" of back and left hip pain. This makes sense since the leg side is stronger and compensates for the weaknesses in my right side.

I have always had balance issues and fall occasionally. I find carpet is easier on my sensitive feet (especially the right one) than hard floors. Since I wore leg braces (to stretch the tendons in the my calf muscles) until I was 12, I practically never went barefoot. Thus, my feet remain extremely tender to this day.

I have not been able to find anyone else who could relate to what I am feeling, so I am hopeful that someone reading this will be able to identify with my issues. I feel as if my back and hip issues have aged me about 10-12 years. In other words, I think I have the back of a 60-62 year old man. My wife jokes that she's going to buy me a scooter to get around on. But for know, I am still on two feet. Living in a 2-story house has also presented "wear and Tear" challenges that will eventually need to be addressed (as they would with most aging folks). It's just that for methat day will come sooner rather than later.
I am a 54 year-old with Mild Cerebral Palsy & Asperger's Syndrome. In the last several years, my spasticity in my legs has gotten worse, & I went from being a good walker to needing to wear AFO's & using forearm crutches to aid my mobility. I am also now totally incontinent, both bladder & bowels. I also experience double vision. I am involuntarily retired on social security, & I used to be a Senior Electronics Engineering Tech working in the field of light industrial robotics.
I am 36 years old with mild cp.  In the last year the pain my back from my high muscle tone has gotten worse.  I tried chiropractic care but that failed because the chiropractor would not listen to me about my mild cp and tried to get me to take all types of supplements.  I am now doing physical therapy and that has helped.  I also just started going to a doctor of osteopathy and am hoping that helps.  Currently I have health insurance through my employer and was wondering if I could get better services through medicaid or my state run health care aid

Im 20 years old and was diagnosed with Mild CP when i was born. As a Young child i had to wear Braces on my legs and supportive footwear. I Have never really had many problems with CP But as im reaching Adulthood Im starting to notice it a lot more often.
I Suppose i want to know if i will be walking in 20 years time?
Hi All,

1 year ago my 3 year old child got diagnosed with mild CP.  

My child is mild, walks with a splint but I often wonder what it would be like living with CP as an adult for her.

I'm so glad I found this site.

I think it's wonderful that you can all share your experiences with each other.

I have a question to you all....
Have you ever heard of Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy? (SDR)?
Dr Park, St Louis, America.

I am considering it for my child as I do worry about her future.

If you were given the option would you have had the operation as a child?

The reason I ask is because you live with CP day in day out and you know how CP has affected you through life.

Many Thanks, All the bestq
Hi, I'm 33 years old. I was born with mild cp. I never had any surgeries that I remember of, but I do remember having to wear the leg braces and the special shoes when I was a kid. I don't have alot of memory of that time because i was so young. But my mom always told me about it when I was older.
  Anyway, now that I'm older I have started having bad pain in my lower back and its like the pain runs through my right leg. Sometimes the pain will go to my knee and stop other times its goes all the way to my foot. Also I sometimes feel as though my brain is foggy or tingly. I used to have seizures as a child and I don't know if I may be having seizures and not realize it. I have talked to my doctor about all this but its not helping me. Has anyone had any problems like this lately?
Hi MamiJ !
I am 21 , and I have mild CP . From what I know , I was adopted at 3 and a half and my adoptive mother did physical therapy with me on her own , she said I used to shake while walking , and my hands used to be twisted inwards and my right knee wouldn't straighten , it would always bend .

Anyway , now , no one even knows I have CP , mine doesn't show at all . I don't shake , my arms and hands look as normal as any human who doesn't have CP - the only issues I have is I have to keep telling myself to put my heel first otherwise I will automatically put my toes first . Anyone else have to do this ?

And my achillies is very stiff , so stretching my achillies always helps . Exercise ALWAYS helps loosen up my muscles and joins . Stretching is the best thing to possibly do . Patiently , but every day - will make a big difference in how you move the rest of the day . I am guilty of not exercising or stretching everyday - just when I can fit it in . But I do try to work out 3x a week .
And I reccommend anyone with CP to exercise or atleast stretch those legs as much as you can . Do it in the morning , and the rest of the day will be a bit easier .

Now , I've been reading some of these posts . And I was stunned to find out that as time has gone on , many of you have noticed a progression with your CP around the age of 50 ..

I was reading this article : http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Adoption_and_Foster_Care/About_Our_Children/Disabilities/cerebral_palsy.asp

And it states that CP doesn't progress . That , whatever damage was done as an infant , or in the womb stays and no further damage progresses .

Now if this is true , then that would mean that even at age 50 , it's not your CP that is worsening - it's something else .. Arthritus(sp?) ?

If we look at how people who don't have CP progress as they get older . They have arthritus , loss of balance , loss of motor skill , loss of coordination , flexibility ..
So, my only guess is either , not enough research has been done on CP , and it does 'progress' or get worse as age sets in , or that , its not that the CP itself progresses at all - but that our bodies and functions are slowing down just as they do in individuals without CP , so that's the exact same thing that happens to us , but that it also causes our CP to APPEAR worse , when it's not the CP itself that causes such loss in balance , motor skills , functioning , but it's just our bodies doing as everyone elses does and the CP makes it harder to cope with , just as CP makes the easiest movements for other people , challenging for us .
Hope that makes sense ?

I could see how CP wouldn't get worse - but that our muscles and functions get more tense , less flexible and worse as age goes on as most everyones body does with or without CP and our CP just adds to it , unfortunately . That's the only thing I can think of if it's true that CP doesn't progress as you get older .

I know I didn't help you very much MamiJ , but that is my experience on it . Does exercising help at all in any way for your CP ?

P.S. my toes will stick together or bend awkwardly when i get a stiff tension in my feet everyone once in a while , and I have to take my hands and actually unbend my toes and foot to stop the pain and to stop it from bending , and then I relax as best I can and it passes . I will notice this happen if I haven't exercised in a while , or notice it happen after I have had a vigorous exercise , but if I keep exercising regularly , it never happens ..

That's why I really think , for those with mild CP that exercise is one of the best 'medicines' for the CP .. It loosens the muscles and gets the tension and stiffness out .

Best wishes and I look up to all of you - CP is no fun ! But you're all doing the best you can and that's all that matters . And its unfortunate no one else knows what challenging the simplist things are , but how could they know ? unless they had CP too !
i am 38 years old and i have mild Cp. Within the last year or so i have noticed that both of my legs seem to tighten up when i walk. i wear custom made shoes,and the condition mainly affect my left foot and leg. i do have muscle spasms from time to time. i don't really know what to do about it. i am taking Flexeril for the muscle spasms but haven't noticed a change yet. it gets embarrasing because it always happens when i go out in public.
It sounds like in addition to your cp affecting your legs, you also have a bit of hemiparesis (weakness on one side), is that right?  Though you may have fallen into a "mild" spastic cerebral palsy category as a child, as you are getting older, your symptoms are less controllable.  Have you ever taken an anti-spasmodic such as oral baclofen or zanaflex?  Botox injections can also help with spasticity.  Are you exercising, keeping your muscles and tendons as loose as possible to prevent contractures?  If your doctor is stumped, is it worth getting another opinion?  If so, I would recommend that you see either a physiatrist (specializes in rehab medicine), a neurologist, or an orthopedist who treats adults with cp.  If you have difficulty finding someone who specializes in cp, call a teaching hospital, talk with someone in a pediatric orthopedic office and ask if any of their doctors follow patients into adulthood.  For example, our pedi ortho sees patients up to about age 30.  If they don't, ask who in the community sees this group of patients.  In the meantime, I would ask your current doctor for a prescription for physical therapy to learn some exercises that can help you prevent contractures.  Good luck.
I am 33 years old and have mild spastic dipalegia. I had some developmental problems as a young child (trouble walking, running, poor hand eye co-ordination) but with the help of physical therapy, i was able to start to walk normally and for most of my life I have'nt been impacted by it. Over the last few years iI have noticed increasing  spasming in my legs and back. My legs get very weak when I stand for eveoctors who apparen a few hours. I drop things a lot lately too and sometimes it feels like my hands won't work. The most frustrating part for me though is dealing with doctors who apparently know very little about CP. I have seen several doctors in the past few years who seemed to think I was crazy when I told them I had CP and two of them suggested I was mis-diagnosed! I is so nice to be able to share experiences with other adults with CP, especially mild CP because I think alot of people don't understand what we go through, even some doctors!
Only time will tell I guess. Everyone's experiences seem to differ but you sound a lot like I was at your age and things are going downhill for me. I wish you the best.
I am 33 years old and have mild CP. I have a also noticed that I do not bounce back as fast as I use to. Remaining calm and not being too hard on myself has helped reduce the number of spasms I get. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with a brother or sister who still expects you to perform at the the same physical level as you did when you were a child/teenager? Any advice would be appreciated.
I am 18 years old and to be honest growing up with mild cp was difficult. my whole family always pushed me to be like them and do things that I just couldn't do and as a kid.... it made me really self conscious. my family believes that I am making it up or that I could if I wanted to. I am really afraid to drive... like I have anxiety's how even my slightest spasm could harm others. I don't drive and I don't want to but I would like to know if you guys do how do you feel? confident and in control? And if you are a parent with CP has it effected your parenting at all?
I am 33 and reading all of these comments has made me feel not so alone. I have mild spastic diplega and have the tendon surgery at 7 yrs old. I have notice the same things. I had a test done n four that I have dystonia which is common in c.p. I had Botox injections in my legs and was put on gabapentin and that has made life way more tolerable . I use to go to the courage center but my neurologist has help so much I will be for ever greatful to him. I hope this helps. And thanks for posting things u r going through, it has made me feel like I'm not alone and what I'm going through is real
P.s.  after having the Botox I can now spread my toes apart
I know a little of what u r going through. I use a scooter on occasion n I love that's its there when I need it. It has allowed me to do things with my 9 n 5 year old. I didn't want to have one lol n I joke all the time about being 33 in a 90 year old body. I have spastic diplega and the hard Wood floors make my legs hurt more often, faster, and for longer periods of time more so in winter. Carpet isn't in the cards for us and we moved to a one level home to help. I just found this site today and I'm glad.
Hi, I was diagnosed at the age of 9 with mild cp.  Lived in a remote area. did not receive any treatment.  Affects my right side, limp has been the only
symptom along with hip being higher on that side.  

So little info is available regarding aging with cp, but I can tell you that it is now being called post impairment syndrome by the medical community.  Similar to someone who had polio as a child then begins to develop premature onset of muscle weakness , etc. which is recognized as post polio syndrome.

I suddenly starting falling at age 50 and needed a cane to keep my balance. Forced to quit my job as I could not tolerate sitting all day.  Extreme back pain, body out of alignment, muscles are very stiff on right side.  This has affected so much of my life.  In chronic pain for a good 15 years now, lots of physical therapy, etc.  My older brother and sister have none of these problems with aging........there definitely is a difference in our lives as they have the minor aches and pains that are common with age, but no comparison to my physical condition.
I can only say that when I read that it takes 3 to 5 x the energy for those of us with cp to do daily living tasks as someone who does not have cp, it made me realize that is why I never seemed to have as much energy as my friends.
I'm 50-something with mild cp affecting the right side. Like you, my family pushed me to do things when I was younger and "keep up" with them. I was told if I just tried harder "it" would go away. Didn't find out what "it" was until I was in my early 30's and felt like a rock had been lifted off of my shoulders just to know what was wrong with me... and that I couldn't make it go away! That's when I started to accept it. I did find like some others that regular exercise is a huge help.

As a parent it's been more frustrating that I couldn't  participate in physical activities as much as I would have liked while my son was growing up. A little scary sometimes  knowing that, for example,  I couldn't get to him quick if he rode his tricycle too far ahead and go himself in danger. But he's a teenager now and he's been a blessing. He understands that I can't do things normally, but as he says, "he's got my back". My husband has very supportive, too.

I just keep telling myself that it could be a lot worse. It's wonderful having a forum... thanks, all!
Im 34 with mild spastic cp. It effected my right side. But do to favoring that side my back is shot. It makes me so sad to wake up in so much pain knowing theres very few dr who treat adult CP. I am a twin and i only ended up with Cp he was fine. I feel like a 34 year old trapped in a 80 year old body. I have  a few surgeries., once i hit 28. I have to say it brought tears to my eyes reading everyones stories. as i felt so alone bc no one understands just how painful its become. I still work my full time and pt time job, which is probubley not helping. However i have a 9 year old and a 14 year old to take care of. Who always makes my days easier to get through. Im hoping  someone knows a specialist in CT. Please if you do let me know. Thanks for listening.
I was born with CP 42 years ago. I have had a mild case of it. Wore braces on my legs and had a operation on my feet when I was 13 to beable to walk straight.
For the past year or so i have noticed alot more changes with how I walk, the pains, and even getting depression.
I have researched this topic and need some advise. Due to the fact that I don't have medical insurence I am unable to afford a specialist. I go to the county hospital in Kansas City (TMC). My doctor that I see there is not convinced that I am having issues with my CP. I also have accute anemia. (in the 7's)
i need some advise on what I should do.
My son has CP and when he was younger I did physical therapy everyday and he had no problems.  When he became a teenager he refused to let me assist him with therapy.  Now he is 15 years old and would not do his therapy for the pass 2 to 3 years.  Now he has developed problems walking and functioning in in daily life.  Still he will not let me assist him and I know the physical therapy will help him.  Or   I don't understand why he will not do the therapy by himself to help himself.  He has been provided with the knowledge and all the equipment he needs.  Why won't he help improve the quality of his life?  I do not understand.  Does anyone out there have any advise.  

I'm a 32 y/o and have had mild cp my whole life. I never really considered it an issue as I was raised to feel "normal". I have recently experienced issues in the workplace and I don't know if it is simply anxiety and lack of confidence that comes with cp or if it is the social/emotional interruptions caused by cp. Has anyone else had any trouble in the workplace?
Hello. my name is Madison. This is the first time I have seen a blog that talks about mild CP. I am 22 years of age. And I have CP mainly on my left side more then my right. I am dealing with severe lower back pain.  And it seems like it has been getting worse has I get older... if someone can help me I would really appericate it..
My son who is now 26 had a spinal rhizotomy done at the age of 2.5 by Dr. Parks.  He is a wonderful man and physician!  Eric would not have walked wtihout the surgery.  Physical therapy is the key after the surgery.
My son who is now 26 had a spinal rhizotomy done at the age of 2.5 by Dr. Parks.  He is a wonderful man and physician!  Eric would not have walked wtihout the surgery.  Physical therapy is the key after the surgery.  Please feel free to email me.  I know as a mom it is difficult to watch your child struggle.  We live in Alpharetta GA and we took Eric to Dr. Parks in St. Louis.  ***@****
I am a 69 year old male.  I have mild cp of the right side of my body.  My right leg and foot have been effected the most.  My leg is 1/2 inch shorter than my left; The leg is always bent back, creating about a one hundred and 185 degree internal angle; my left foot has always had food drop and spastic toes; the leg was expremely spastic from birth until about age 21 when the spasticity vanished except for extremely rare occassions when it was mildly spastic (Has anyone had that happen to them?); my right arm and hand sluggishly respone to my wishes; my right leg muscles are much smaller than my left, the right arm is much weaker than my left.

In childhood I had a cast put on the leg under pressure to help straighten it until they found shortly that the pain was vastly to much for it to stay on.  From then on until late childhood I wore a metal brace at night. (I couldn't tolerate the extreme pain so I would loosen up the straps.) I had weekly sessons with a physical therapist and exercises to do during the week which I mostly didn't do.

I functioned as a normal kid: playing street baseball, football, tag, basket ball, walking, etc.

In highschool I played in a church basketball league and danced as long as there was music playing at a weekly dance.

As an adult I ran long distances, hiked, backpacked, took judo, weight lifted, square danced, etc.

As an older adult I continued walking, did Tai Chi and Yoga, danced, and had an extensive personal exercise program until I developed chronic facial pain that has limited my exercising drastically.

My balance, and body have been very supportive to me.  I was able to get long term health insurance with a discount for being in good shape.

Now I have gained some weight and am much less active. I have pain in my right hip and more pain at night in my right leg than usual.  Cp related or do to the extra weight and aging?  I think it's do to aging and the weight.
Great to find this forum,  The best I’ve located for Adults with CP

I just turned 61 born Dec 26 1952. I have mild CP since birth, my mother went into labor late on Christmas day, and her doctor was not available when she arrived at the hospital. In those days they sedated her with ether, waiting for his arrival. In addition forceps’ were used during my delivery. Anyway mom had told me that my handicap was due to lack of oxygen at birth. It wasn’t until recently that I discovered there was an actual classification for what I have. “Cerebral Palsy Hemiparesis (left side)
Until the age of 10, I walked on the left toes .  At 10 I had surgery to lengthen my Achilles tendon, allowing me to walk on my heel.  My left hand and arm are smaller and have very little muscle tone.
I’m unable to rotate my left wrist very much, i.e., I cannot turn my hand with palm facing up. Hand dexterity is ridged and slow. There is some cross talk between my right and left hand, allowing my left hand to move better if I perform same function with my right hand. (Like moving my wrist up and down, or making a fist.  
Physical tasks seem to always take me twice long to accomplish, but they always get completed.  “IF THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY”.  Growing up I had great family support and was treated as normal.  I did struggled in school, and was pretty much a C student throughout school, and I’m still challenged at reading smoothly, choppy especially when pronouncing large words. I did achieved a AA degree in Electronics (2 ½ yrs.) in 1973 and have spent the last 40 years in the computer industry in various positions, including teaching, course development and Technical and Marketing Support.
At 61 I’m beginning to have some issues with pain in my left hip, shoulder and lower back.
I recently got cortisone shot in my shoulder which has helped, and for my back I found exercising by bending and trying to touch my toes has helped.   For 2014 I’m planning to start swimming, at the local athletic club.
Hi Strong12

For me anxiety in the workplace has occurred for me over the years. It reallyt occurs when I have to deal with critical issues that need to be solved in a short period of time. There's  stress when using a keyboard(one handed) and needing  to respond quickly tp emails,  It can take me  a long time just in dealing with  emails..For my anxiety my doc has me on Paxil. and buspar

It works for Obama, check out this SNL commercial for Paxil

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/anti-depressant-for obama/n43343/

Regards :)
I'm shocked and so relieved to see 2 other ppl diagnosed as an adult!! I was re-diagnosed when I was 38 (I had forgotten all about childhood diagnosis). I was diagnosed as a toddler but was considered so mild only wore braces and special shoes. After  my leg surgery when I was 10, CP was never mentioned again and shoes/braces gone.
After years of right sided weakness, and injury after injury and surgery after surgery, I had a right foot surgery from which I seemingly couldn't recover. After being in my knee high walking boot for 6 weeks, I came out of it fully on my toes ie. toe walking. I hadn't known this was occurring while in the boot.
I am now 43, and have equinovarus, AFO, Botox injections, on: tizanidine, baclofen, Valium, tramadol. I walk with crutches and have consistently sine I was 38. My right foot and knee have contractures and I have terrible spasticity in hip which causes a lot of flex ion and adduction. I often have terrible low back pain which impedes my ability to sit. I have been fortunate enough to find a physiatrist that gives me caudal epidurals, SI joint injections, and injections to my ischium to treat proximal hamstring tendinitis.
This post has been amazing! I only wish this had been out in 2008 when I thought I was either losing my mind or had Lou Gehrig s disease. I'm now able to wrap my mind around all of this. It has been an adjustment for sure. I want to thank all that shared their stories.... very comforting and normalizing. Please if anyone reading this is experiencing major changes in function, please know it can and does happen. Imagine the repetitive micro injuries and injuries that occur with every step when the impact of every single step is bio mechanically wrong and causes stresses and forces that shouldn't be. I'm so happy to have come across this thread. Thanks again to all those that shared.
Hi Cp43

Have you heard of  "selective dorsal rhizotomy (sdr)"  . I discover a young man  named Nico Phillips,who has been working an a documentary called  The Nerves Of Us: (Changing The World One CP Adult At A Time)  

Although the documentary's not yet completed this link discuss the SDR option for adults

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-nerves-of-us-changing-the-world-one-cp-adult-at-a-time.

At the bottom of this webpage there are links to YouTube for additional  videos.

Wish you the best
Mark
I don't have CP but my boyfriend who I love so much has mild CP. Maybe I'm just here to get to see what is going on to better understand and know how you all feel. I love him so much and I would really love to know more about mild CP so I can better understand him and his ways and for me to really show him how much I care about him.  

I have so much regard with people who have CP, even before i met my boyfriend. I may not know any of you, but you do inspire me.

Thnxs for the info. and the link---very helpful.
I'm 36 years old with mild CP that effects my right side. It's so hard to find other adults that have this condition. I'm so glad there are some. I thought maybe kids just disappeared when they grew up or something. I don't limp when I walk unless I walk quickly but I'm walking much slower now any ways. Walking is my main means of transportation so I'm walking about 4-5 miles a day. The best is the elliptical at the gym because I can get a pretty good motion without all the added weight of my body. I can get pretty stiff but when I get car rides I really feel sore. I have problems with feeling tightness in my outer thigh and when I am in bed for the night, I feel pressure in my knee. I give that a break by putting a pillow under my leg. I make small veneer corner pieces for a living. My job is to attach the wood to a zinc piece of metal with glue and par down the access with scissors. They bought me lefty scissors and whined about my accuracy because it has become difficult to conquer my fine motor. However, with consistent use, I have seen some improvement. Mostly I am weird because my walking speed is so slow. I don't tell people about my CP but I think they are figuring it out. Maybe you need a hobby that makes you use your hands, like making teddy bears or sewing quilts or something like. I know if they take me off my little pieces sometimes it's hard to go back to and I cut my hands sometimes with the razor blade but I DO improve. I find most my body is slow to start but does get better with time. Just so happy there are other adults like me out there.
Im 36 with mild cp.  I wore braces as an infant because my feet pointed inward.  Growing up I could run.  As a teen if I ran I would fall because of tripping over my feet.  In my mid 20s I had my 1st sharp pain in the ball of my foot.  It felt like someone smashed my foot with a hammer.  I was walking up wooden stairs barefoot.  I notice now if I wear shoes more than 3 months my feet hurt badly.  I have tried the Richie brace for both feet.  I got another set of braces that I cant wear.  My left foot at the ball is 1/2 inch thicker than the right.  I have a 5 yr old son I can hardly keep up with.  I work 45 hrs a wk on a cement floor.  The last 2 years have really been getting worse.  I don't know how much longer I can continue this.  I work in a factory doing mindless work.  I have a hard time learning new concepts.  It is so frustrating.  Its like my brain will let me learn 5%  of a new task.  After that I get a splitting headache because I honestly cant figure it out.  Any thoughts to disability retirement how it works???
I am now 33 and told my mother that I refused to wear my braces at night at age 8. I am now 33 and still dont exercise. I will do some occasional stretching out of necessity, but very seldom. I am very tight in my right extremities. I broke my hip in 2007 and went thru some physical therapy. It was night and day how I felt, but because the orthopedic doc refused to right scripts for PT I couldnt go anymore. It is frusturating to have CP. I am 120 lb 5'10 mALE. I am beyond strong on my left side for my size, I can curl 20 lb easily. I AM NOT going to sit there and curl 2 lb with my right. It is so frusturating to know your weakness. I am proud of who I am how I am. I don't need any help, however in my later years I am trying to find other ways for comfort, such as chiropratic and viatem supplements and baclofin. I will not exersize to just be tight again the next day. Hope this helps with your son's attitude.
Sounds like we  have some of the same problems., just on the opposite side.
I have mild cp on my left side.  I think it's better to have cp on the left than right side, because this world is made for right handed people. I do think  things are getting harder for me to do though. Buttoning is a night mare anymore. I think maybe buttons  are smaller than they used to be. Guess I should get one of those buttoning aid things, but I'm not sure they would fit thru the hole of the blouse. Of course women wear more things that button than guys. I don't exercise either. But physical stuff is getting harder for me to do than it used to be. Maybe I'm just feeling old.
DON'T DO IT!!!!!  As an adult w/ CP and an advocate for people w/ disabilities for overr  30 years, time and again the results are great often for as long as 15 - 20 years, but when the results start to reverse it can be heartbreaking.  I have a dear friend whose adult daughter had the D.R. at 12.  In the past 5 years she has gone from one life threatening event to another.  Mostt I know end up paraplegicss.
I am 17 and my Cerebral Palsy spacicity has moved from my legs into my back, shoulders and arms. I find iit very difficult to move and stretch. I have had many tests and tried many drugs and nothing so far as helpe. i have been put in arm and leg braces to try and stretch my muscles but nothing has worked. I often find myself taking spastic fits and not being able to control them. they can last anywhere from a few second to a few hours. Because of this, school is very difficult. I also find nights to be the worse. This is a condition that can be quite painful.
Im 20 with mild cp as well. Always trying to research more about it so I can counter it with martail arts, pranayama, and meditstion. I assume from reading these comments that spacicities are small to large regions of your muscle twitching inward and outward rapidly, is so I guess I also have it at a small to small rate. Tendons everywhere on my body is jus tight, I feel as if it also messes with my breathing. I am having trouble with posture, I dont knowhow to figure out the aalignment of my posture for chakra healing. I also feel that cp interfere with intuition and state of mind due to circulation of breathing. Any tips regarding to chakra healing and excersises? I would love to treat my body the I can considering I only have "one life".
I'm 69 and have had mild CP since birth,when,like captwash,I suffered from lack of oxygen for those vital moments during my arrival on earth.
Started walking at 2and a half with difficulty and was seen by numerous docs,clinics etc and wore calipers until the age of 9 approx on both legs.Reaching maturity,the CP was quite manageable and apart from a limp from my dragging left foot on a shorter leg (approx 3cm shorter than right leg) I was able to accomplish most things and even became captain of our schools 2nd tennis team,swam ,rowed ,climbed trees etc but running was always a difficulty.At 53yrs I had a double heart bypass and from then on noticed a decline in my walking ability,feet turning in more,loss of balance and now I hold on to everything when I can.Hips too have 'turned my legs inwards' causing further walking problems and I only have a 15 degree outward stretch of my legs as against a usual 60 degree arch.
So I am considering an op to cut and redress the feet bones to aid stability,gait etc.Are there any of you out there around my age who have attempted this op and what has been the result? My nerve impulses to my feet have been checked and on the outward muscles readings are v low. I am hoping my brain has enough connection to re-educate a new walk! HELP,any info on this please,thanks for reading up on my case,Mat
Love this forum. I was diagnosed with spastic diplegia cerebral palsy when I was two. I had a walker, leg braces, some other things too. I am 26 now. I have read before that Cerebral Palsy doesn't get worse. I have trouble believing that. I work at a job which requires me to be on my feet all day. So every morning I wake up in pain in my legs. I now have arthritic knees. Sometimes my toes stick together. And I experience hip pains when I run. Seeing that people with cerebral palsy age earlier than regular people, I don't see how it is said that it doesn't get worse than this. I don't like hospitals so I never have seen a doctor about any of my pain.