brain injury question and what it exactly means
My sons MRI/Mra findings after birth trauma showed Chronic Bifrontal infractions measuring approximately 2.5 cm in diameter on each side. The mid and inferior lobes are spared. Volume loss in the anterior corpus callosum. the degree of volume loss is significantlly less from prior MRI at birth. Increased T2 signal seen within the medial thalamai bilaterally.
Signal abnormalty seen within both medial thalamai and along the lateral margins of the midbrain, likely the sequela of prior ischemia.
Unremarkable MRA of the head. Two discrete anterior Cerebral arteries are visualised. On prior exam only a single ACA was seen. With all this said can anyone explain what it all exactly means and how I can better help my son
Hi!
Am sorry to hear about your son! Infarcts in the brain seldom resolve. Infarcts in the frontal cortex can affect its  function and can lead to long term memory loss, mood swings, talking too much, and energy bursts leading to over activity. Long term complication is chance of schizophrenia.
Similarly medial thalami control important functions which can be affected such as sensations and sleep.
Usually treatment is supportive and depends on the symptoms. Do discuss this with your son’s doctor. Take care!