Cerebral Palsy Community
cerebral palsy deterioration?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

cerebral palsy deterioration?

hi, after going back and forth to the hospital for the last year and a half my 2 and a half year old daughter has only just been diagnosed with cerebral palsy.
My main concern and query is that for the last month or so my daughters movement skills have got a lot worse, for example climbing stairs, getting up on the chair and crawling around was very easy for her (she never walked due to spastic diplegia with valgus ankle) but now even those tasks are becoming very difficult for her she cant do any of those things now without great difficulty. she is currently waiting for physio. the thing i was so concerned about is that i have done a lot of research on cerebral palsy and it is not a progressive condition so i wasnt understanding why her movement is gettin worse? could there be something else wrong or could it be because she is not recieving any physio to help with her muscle stiffness?
she is currently waiting for a brain scan.

+
Even though CP is not a progressive disease, it requires most often a lifetime of physical therapy to reach your full ability and maintain that. So I would say that her regression is most likely due to the fact that she has not had any physical therapy up until this point. Her muscles have probably become tight and stiff. PT should help. Brain scans always show brain damage related to CP. It is usually diagnosed by signs/symptoms. If you have any more questions feel free to message me. I also have a nearly three year old little girl with CP.
hi thanks for your reply, i did message you a week ago but it has not come up on here, well ive got the 1st physio session with my daughter later so i will see what they say, i was just mainly concerned about the fact it could be something more serious such as muscular dystrophy as she has been fine up untill about a month ago and her regression has happened so quickly.
Also, her ankles roll inwards really bad and i dont see how she will ever have the chance to walk when they are this bad (they look broken to look at). splints and support boots have not even made the slightest difference... i cant help but think she may need an op but there's no way anyone will operate on her feet while she is so young and this is only going to delay her ability to even stand and balance correctly so how will she ever learn to walk when her feet are not even alligned properly?
Thanks for any advise you can give i really appreciate it.
Stacey
Hey. I was just reading my previous reply, and I meant to say that brain scans DO NOT always show CP. But anyways, have you mentioned Muscular Dystrophy to your MD? Congenital Muscular Dystrophy presents at birth with joint deformities and muscle weakness, and does have a slow progression. May not be CP if her regression happened so suddenly. Obviously, I am not a doctor but I would highly suggest you find one who listens to your concerns and is willing to look into other diagnoses besides CP. CP is such a broad term that they use anytime a child presents with developmental delay with muscle involvement.  Hopefully, it is CP.(I know that sounds bad, but not as bad as certain other diagnoses) and she will progress with PT. I hope so and I will be praying for you and your little girl.