Cerebral Palsy Community
hand numbness, pins and needles

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

hand numbness, pins and needles

my left hand is numb, it is difficult to type, hold a pen or use knife, fork or spoon. I have been told by a doctor that I have essential tremours. I was given medication for this and it didn't help. I have been experiencing this for about 10 weeks,
My left hand is very stiff and it is difficult to keep my fingers open and straight
Hi!
There is a chance that you have compression of the spinal nerves in the cervical spine region. This can happen due to overuse of computers, work involving straining of neck, herniated disc, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc. A MRI of the cervical spine and nerve conduction studies may be required. Please consult a neurologist. The treatment is to remove the compression. You have to discuss the best treatment option with a neurologist, which can range from medication to physiotherapy to traction, cervical collars or even surgery. Alternatively you can visit a chiropractor or a physical therapist and learn some exercises which you can do to relieve the compression, but consulting a neurologist is a must.
It can also be due to peripheral neuropathies or vascular pathologies. Hence peripheral vascular pathologies have to be ruled out either by angiograms or by dopplar studies. Nerve conduction studies should be done. Vitamin B12 deficiency too should be looked into. There are many other causes of nerve disorder causing pins and needles or glove-and-stocking neuropathy or paresthesia including diabetes, hypothyroidism, chronic involvement of liver or kidney, chronic alcohol use etc. Hypoparathyroidism too should be looked into apart from hypothyroidism. Neck strain, spondylotic changes in cervical vertebrae, bone disease or bad posture should be looked into. Nerve infections as in Lyme’s disease too should be investigated. Multiple sclerosis and G B Syndrome (less likely) are two other possibilities.  
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!