Cerebral Palsy Community
hydrocephalus
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

hydrocephalus

what will doctors do with a child with ablocked VP shunt
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
127529_tn?1331844380
It depends where the shunt is blocked. Sometimes just the blocked part can be replaced sometimes the whole shunt needs replacing. Either way it requires surgery.
Blank
1255840_tn?1287433448
mum is correct Surgery is the only way to fix a blocked shunt
Blank
thank you very much,my son is sixteen and has in a VP shunt.
Blank
thanks very much for your comment now i can set my fears to rest.
Blank
Hi. The apparent signs of elevated intracranial pressure, such as headaches, vomiting and lethargy would make the suspicion a shunt malfunction obvious. If your child has these symptoms, a CT or MRI scan may be used to compare the ventricular size from previous scans and show the most definitive signs of a malfunction. In cases where scanning shows no evidence, the next step involves a strictly aseptic shunt tap test. However, tapping the shunt is invasive and carries a risk of infection. Once the blocked shunt is replaced promptly, full recovery can be anticipated. Hope this helps.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Cerebral Palsy Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...