Cerebral Palsy Community
involuntary arm movement

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

involuntary arm movement

i have a 20 year old daughter with CP. About 4 months ago she developed this constant twiching in her left arm. It constantly moves back and forth making the arm useless for many daily functions. Anyone have any idea what may be causing this? if so please email me at ***@****
thanks
Hi.

Thanks for writing in.

Your daughter is suffering from a type of cerebral palsy, known as Athetoid / dyskinetic
Cerebral Palsy. It is a non-progressive disorder but leads to several co-ordination and orthopedic difficulties.

Athetoid cerebral palsy results from damage to the extrapyramidal motor system and/or pyramidal tract and to the basal ganglia in the midbrain. The damage occurs in 35-40% of all cases.

The muscle tone is mixed - sometimes hypertonia (increased tone) and sometimes hypotonia (decreased tone). This results in difficulty in controlling and co-ordinating movements. There may also be many involuntary writhing movements so that the limbs are constantly and involuntarily in motion. They often have speech difficulties.

People with athetoid cerebral palsy have difficulty maintaining an upright, steady position for sitting or walking. They face difficulty in normal day to day activities like reaching for a cup or scratching their nose). They may not be able to hold onto objects (such as a toothbrush or pencil).
Although there is no cure for cerebral palsy, but various forms of physical, rehabilitation and speech therapies along with medications to control seizures, spasms and pain are available.

Several arm and hand braces are also available for persons afflicted with the neuro-muscular tremors of cerebral palsy, which helps in maintaining control of gross and fine arm and hand movements in the cerebral palsy patient.

Regards

hi, I read about athetoid on our message. the question shows that these movements  is developed recently. and the case is 20 years old why she didn't have thee movement before?
your answer is valid and will help me to improve my information.

thank you!