Cerebral Palsy Community
pain and cp?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

pain and cp?

I am very curious to hear what other people say on this topic. i do not have constant pain from my cp yet and hope i never will but i keep hearing people with cp complain about it... I have mild cp and every once in a while my right foot  and sometimes my right calf muscle will cramp up and id be in a significant amount of pain. i am not sure exaclt wjhat everyone else is talking about as i do not have a constant pain condition due to cp.  Thank you so much for your reply.
For me it started out the same way, now I have it in every part of my body and it seems to jump around from hour to hour, or day to day or sometimes minute to minute.The spasms come without warning. I'm in pain or discomfort most of the time. My joints are loose and often pop. My knees pop the most. If I over do it, my good knee can easily give out, so far I've been lucky and it hasn't. I've got arthitis in both hands and knees. Muscles are stiff, tight, painful. Walking is a chore among itself sometimes. The spasms are exactly like your calf but everywhere and almost constant and are always changing points.

I've got mild spastic cp and when I was younger it hit the calves the most as a kid, usually made me wake up screaming in pain from a dead sleep. Now it seems it's taken it's toll on the whole body. Little by little it just widdled away at it until it could no longer take it and now the signs are showing. There's constant fatique as well. Count yourself lucky not to be dealing with it, I hope you are lucky enough to never deal with it. But anyhoo, that's what it feels like.
I'll take a stab at this one as currently I am experiencing this issue from over a decade of untreated CP. Like eagle mentioned in his other post to jae424's question about her son's rage, I too had at one time felt like a guinea pig and decided to stop all doctor visits for my condition, I can with hindsight being 20/20, easily say that I am now paying the price for this neglect of treating my condition with pain.

What happens with the body and CP is that because of the different muscles affected, there can be issues with gait (walking pattern) and posture that can negatively impact other parts of your body including muscles, nerves, joints and bones.

Basically you should have a good set of doctors that you see at least annually for the different body systems that your CP impacts such as an Orthopedic and Neurologist. And you of course should seek out second opinions if necessary, follow all the regiments and advice that your doctors and therapists have for you.

I for example could have had many of my joint, posture and nerve issues prevented or lessened these last four years if I had continued to wear my leg braces and have a daily personal or weekly assisted physical therapy sessions.

My left knee is part of my good leg, and has now been giving me problems these last two years due to depending too much on it and not getting proper support for both my legs by the use of braces, along with that, physical therapy would have helped to tone my weaker muscles of my right side to prevent the Sciatic nerve problems that are currently causing my constant pain from lower back/waist all through my right leg.

Also having proper posture while working, and as best gait as can be obtained while walking and moving to and fro can prevent for putting abnormal stress on joints and muscles.
CORRECTION:
Sorry, the comment eagle had made about feeling like a guinea pig was not in his other post but instead is found on his profile page.
I need to ask... jhow old are you two? it would seem to me that because im relatively young (24) that i could lessen the severity of these issues later on in life... thanks!

Christopher