Cerebral Palsy Community
what's the difference between

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding cerebral palsy issues such as: Books and Journals, Daily Living and Social issues, Diagnosis, Education and Schools, Equipment (orthotics, walkers, wheelchairs, cars, etc.), Family and Patient Support Groups, Financial Help and Support, Insurance Issues, Legal Rights and Issues, Research, Long-Term Care, Treatments (Biofeedback, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Conductive Education, Suit Therapy, Botox, Baclofen, PERC, etc.)

what's the difference between

Is there a difference between Cerebral Palsy and Encephalopathy. I have many many questions. I'm seeking help and research for my son. One more question for here is are you also familiar with Group B Strep and can it be linked to Encephalopathy?

Thanks so much.
Cerebral Palsy is also referred to as static encephalopathy.  Group B Strep or other maternal infections can lead to cerebral palsy in children. Was your son treated with antibiotics after birth?
No, he was not treated with antibiotics after birth. The hospital says that because they gave me antibiotics during birth he would be fine, ignoring the fact that I had preterm labor and I had told them I thought my water broke while in the shower 36 hours before birth. They refused to treat/test him after birth even after I had already had a child born with group b infection. :(.
Was your son born early?  My daughter was born 8 weeks early and I had chorioamnionitis for days(I believe) before they decided to deliver me.  I had a fever and high heart rate for days before delivery.  My daughter was treated with antibiotics after birth, but the damage had already been done prior to her being delivered. She tested negative for ant infection afterwards, but I had an infection and I'm sure thats what caused her to have Cerebral Palsy.  How old is your son?  Has he been diagnosed with encephalopathy?  
He wasn't born early because they put me on anti-contraction medicine (terbutaline) and strict bed rest. I started having mild contractions at approxamitely 6 months. I do not recall having any infections or other problems, but I'm working on getting my medical records. I learned yesterday that he had low apgar scores 7 at 1 minute (a 0 was scored for color and a 1 for respiratory) and then 9 at 5 minutes (a 1 for color and a 2 for respiratory-but the two written down looks suspicious as it is written totally different than any of the other two's on the paper). They did not give him any special attention or care after he was born. There was also meconium staining on him and the placenta.

He is 7 years old. I started doing heavy research recently because for 4 years they have told me he is not having siezures when I've been convinced that he is. They are not the grandmal seizures. One doctor said she would classify them as Complex Partial Seizures and has put him on meds-which since then he's not had any un-provoked falls. Another wants to take him off of them. I don't know if they have diagnosed per say. They won't give me a specific diagnoses. But there "Asessments" are Static Encephalopathy, mild Encephalopathy and diffuse Encephalopathy. I went to get his birth records yesterday, and they wouldn't give me one of the reports, and the other had "nothing" on it. I'm very suspicious as to what is going on. All's I have asked from them is to help him the best they can and they treat me like we are an inconvenience and that nothing is wrong with him. I'm so tired and fed up and heart broken for him.

I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter. What degree of CP does she have? I hope that you have good medical support.
My daughter is one year old and was recently diagnosed with spastic hemiplegic CP.  She is doing amazingly well considering.  What do his seizures consist of?  That is how we discoverd that Ella had abrain injury is when she started having seizures, and she was in the hospital and I still counldn't get anyone to listen.  They were so mild that you really had to pay attention to realize what they were.  She was on seizure meds for only six months and has never had another one.  Did your son have developmental issues when he was a baby?  How is he develpmentally now?