Cervical Cancer Community
ASCUS pap and then LGSIL

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Cervical Cancer.

ASCUS pap and then LGSIL

Early in 2011, I had an abnormal pap. It was ASCUS. I was sent for a colposcopy and it came back normal. I had a repeat pap 3 months later and it was ASCUS and was sent for another colposcopy and it was a different gynecologist and he said the colpo came back that I have cervicitis and no cancer or anything else. He did cryo and I went back for repeat pap 4 months later and it came back LGSIL. I felt like I needed to see a different gynocologist (very reputable) for the colposcopy and he did the colpo and it came back normal. He said for me to repeat my pap in 6 months. Why is my paps abnormal. Why is the colposcopy normal?I am 40 years old and  ccording to my original pap, I have high risk HPV. This all started last year and my repeat PAP will be in December. What is going on with my cervix and what are the chances of this turning into cancer?I am very worried and confused.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
High risk HPV puts you at risk of abnormal changes in the cervix. This may be the reason for abnormal pap smears. LGSIL are low grade changes which can be easily treated by procedures like cryo, LLETZ etc. Also the progression to cancer is very slow and hence gives lot of opportunity for treatment. Consult a gynaecologist for an evaluation.
Hope this helps.
Thank you.
How was your experience with cryo?