HPV 16 Diagnosis After a Hysterectomy- What does it mean?
About 15 years ago my PAP came back abnormal with cervical dysplasia and pre-cancerous cells detected.  A LEEP and Colosocopy was done at that time and my PAP remained normal for 1 year.  The following year, my PAP came back abnormal again with the pre-cancerous cells, at that time I had a total hysterectomy with removal of the cervix.  Since that time all my PAP have been normal again.  I recently changed doctors and with my last visit, my PAP came back normal but an HPV test came back positive for the 16 strain.  To say I'm in shock is an understatement!  I have no symptoms or discomfort, and no cervix anymore.  My new doctor wants to do a colposcopy, is this really necessary since I'm no longer at risk for cervical cancer?

Help, I'm freaking out about this right now!
HI,
HPV 16 is a high risk strain of HPV and although you have had a hysterectomy, it would be wise to keep a check. Checking the vault and the vagina for any changes is advisable. You should consult a gynaecologist for a thorough evaluation.
Hope this helps.
Dear Cindy,
I am so sorry to hear this news and I can totally understand why you are in shock, to say the least.
Did you also have your ovaries out and have nodes tested after during/after surgery?
I had cervical cancer, it was stage 1 a 2.  What was your stage? Did you have any chemo or radio? I did not.
Please know I am here for support! OMG I would be going insane. Please stay in touch and let me know what is going on. I just joined this site today. I am now almost 10 years out of cervical cancer, and I still worry about it coming back. I am going to check my file to see what strains of HPV I had. Thank you and I wish you the best.