Cervical Cancer Community
Had tests done...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Cervical Cancer.

Had tests done...

Brief history: I had my first abnormal pap smear come back 8 weeks ago. (41yrs)

Went in today for the colopscopy, from there he said "yep, we will difinetley need to do the biopsy". He was using terminology to a medical student he had (did not bother me); asking if she can see the abnormalities here & here..

He also told me the pap smear trigged the lab to do a HPV test & it came back high for being positive.

What is the biopsy for if I won't get another pap for 3 months...He says the HPV may resolve itself.

Another question; I know I have never been unfaithful & my husband claims the same. Neither one of us have done anything to question our marriage. We have been married for 23 yrs. Yes we did have priopr partners to meeting.

Is it in anyway possible for it to just now show up. I had an HPV test done 3yrs ago & it was negative. Just confused, i don't want to accuse him of something he did not do. I am not saying he couldn't have, but I have no reason or proof to even let it cross my mind..
I can understand your concern but both the PAP and HPV tests have come positive for HPV. In such a case, we need to do a repeat PAP or a colposcopic guided biopsy to ascertain the strain of virus and the degree of dysplasia of the cells.

In 90% of cases, the body’s immune system clears HPV naturally within two years.  But, sometimes, HPV infections are not cleared and can have HPV even if years have passed since he or she had sexual contact with an infected person.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

He did a biopsy while he did the colposcopy.

So if I have not heard from them (the biopsy was done going on a week ago May 23)can I assume the biopsy is fine & just go back at the end of Aug. for another pap?