Cervical Cancer Community
Intermenstrual bleeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Cervical Cancer.

Intermenstrual bleeding

I had inter menstrual bleeding after 12 days of my last period and it lasted for 3 days. Initially the flow was heavy but gradually it slowed down. I went to the doc and undergone Cervical Specific Antigen blood test as normal. But the doc was not able to answer why did the bleeding happened. Could you please let me know the possible reasons for this ?
Main causes of intermenstrual bleeding could be due to pregnancy, birth control pills, infection in an area of the body related to menstruation (including the vagina, the cervix and even the bladder). Other causes could be polycystic ovarian syndrome, diseases of pituitary gland, hormonal imbalance of estrogen and progesterone and uterine abnormalities like fibroid and  cervical dysplasia. Your doctor may consider tests like blood sugar levels, thyroid function test, prolactin, follicle-stimulating hormone (FSA), estrogen, and testosterone. Imaging studies, such as ultrasound, X-ray, and CT scan may also be recommended in certain individuals.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.