Cervical Cancer Community
LEEP procedure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Cervical Cancer.

LEEP procedure

I had the leep two days ago and I'd like to say something positive and encouraging to other women who have hpv/cervcical dysplasia!  I would absolutely recommend this procedure.  It takes care of your dysplasia at that moment.  No more stress, worrying, obsessing about what is going on in your body.... The procedure itself wasn't bad.  The shot of lidocaine was unpleasant.  I am a WIMP and my doctor gives no pain meds, anesthesia wasn't even an option... So, honestly, if I can handle the shot, anyone can!  It was a pretty good jab of pain for that first shot, but we waited a minute for it to start working before she gave the others.That made it better.I am 2 days post leep...and I feel really good.  Like I said, my doctor isn't a fan of drugging up her patients, so i am using over the counter tylenol, advil, etc... and it has been fine.  I am not a fan of pain, so I kinda like a good pain pill if I feel any pain, but it has been just fine.  A little cramping and a tiny amount of bleeding... that's it!  I have two children and my husband has been here to help with them, I told him to go back to work, I was totally fine!  The best thing with leep is the tissue that is removed is tested.  They want clear margins to make sure the whole lesion was removed... My results came back 24 hours later----clear margins!!  They got it all and the best thing---my body WAS starting to resolve the dyplasia!  I DO NOT regret having the leep, though.... I know right now, today, that I have no precancerous cells in my body AND my bodys immune system is working!  I am 38, so I had a 25% chance of this happening!  I eat right, I exercise, I don't drink, I don't smoke...maybe it is finally paying off!  I am still pissed that I even have high risk hpv,  but atleast my body is now fighting!  If you are worried about the procedure or debating getting it done--do it.  You'll atleast know what is going on in your body!  To me, having peace of mind is the best thing!  I have been a wreck for 2 months.  I finally slept well lastnight.. Good luck ladies!  AND---my doctor told me that 85% of the population has hpv.  She actually has hpv 16 and had cervical dysplasia and the leep procedure, too.  Talk about your fears and you would be surprised how many other women have this--I was shocked... Don't be ashamed, the majority of us do have some form of hpv.  Just pray you don't have the ones that cause cervical cancer.