Cervical Cancer Community
Lower abdominal and back pain after cone biopsy 3 months ago

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Cervical Cancer.

Hi, I am just looking for a bit of advice, If anyone has gone through this before. I am 21 years old with no kids. I had gone to the Gyne with spotting and discharge and my gyne done a smear on me which came back that I had abnormal cells in my cervix, I then went for a colposcopy and the results came back the same. They wanted to be positive the abnormal cells were in my cervix and not on the outside so they did the colposcopy again and still the same result came back, they wanted to be sure as I am very young for this to be the case.

The hospital decided to send me to get a camera up to my womb to make sure that was clear and that it was just in my cervix and also done a swab of my cervix, which again came back showing the same results, after waking from my anistetic i had a few cramps but everything went well and I was out by 3 o clock.

After all there inspection they decided the only option was for me to have a cone biopsy, explaining it is only a day case like getting the camera done was, within 2 days i was back in the hospital to have the cone biopsy done. When I woke from the procedure, I was in so much pain and being told they wanted to keep me in a night as I lost to much blood, I ended up being kept in hospital for 3 days and then only alowed home as my dad said he would take time off work to look after me as I could barely walk (sometimes I could not even walk) needed help in and out of bed, could not eat or sleep with the pain I was in, even with the amount of pain killers I was on  after 2 weeks I was starting to feel back to myself. 1 or 2 weeks later I had black discharge (like excess of my cervix burned) which smelled really bad, this lasted for just under 2 weeks.

I had sex with my boyfriend 5 weeks after my cone biopsy with alot of pain, after sex I would have spotting for a period of time and when it finally stopped I had sex again and it was still very sore and again I would have spotting and this continued for about 2 months. the last month sex has stopped hurting me and the spotting has finally stopped, I still get lower abdominal cramps sometimes after sex and also since my procedure I get lower abdominal cramps and lower back pain ever so often which is not caused by my period as It does not come and has never been that bad before, would anyone happen to know the cause of this pain??

Also my results came back to say they removed all the abnormal cells :) I am going for a scan tomorrow to get my cervix measured as the gyne is pretty sure from the amount of my cervix I got removed, that it will be 2 short to carry a baby full term, so they think I will have to get the stitch in once my next smear comes back normal.

Thanks for taking your time to read my story and I hope you can help me
I can understand your pain but after a cone biopsy it is normal to have some light vaginal bleeding and discharge for up to four weeks after the procedure. Also you should not do any strenuous exercise or have sex for between four and six weeks after the procedure. This will give your cervix time to heal. As the pain and spotting have reduced, it means your cervix is healing. You should go ahead and get the cervix reassessed.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.