Cervical Cancer Community
Plese give me some advice

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Cervical Cancer.

Plese give me some advice

I had a transvaginal sonogram and have been told that I have thick uterine lining and my pap smear came back as being high grade squamous lesion, I am scheduled to have a copol Any questions I should ask in advance or at time of exam
Basically, you have been exposed to HPV in the past.  It could have been many years ago.  HPV often lays dorment and strikes when you are ill or stressed.  Then as your body tries to fight off the virus, sometimes it hangs on longer and begins to alter the cells of the cervix.  There are different levels of change in the cervical cells.

They rank them on a scale for pap smears.

1. atypical cells of undetermined significance (slight change, but not very bad... slight infection can cause this and the pap is repeated in 6 months)
2. LGSIL - low grade squamous intraepithelial dysplasia (changes in cells, but not enough to warrent doing any further testing... repeat pap in 6 months -  1 year)
3. HGSIL - high grade squamous intraepithelial dysplasia.  Follow up with colposcopy for further testing and do a cone or other type of cervical biopsy of what is seen.  In all likelihood the HGSIL will begin to heal itself and slowly grade down.  Repeat pap every 6 months until improvement.  
4. Pre-Carcinoma - severe changes in cells
5. Carcinoma - cancer It typically takes up to 10 years to reach this stage.  There are many treatments that prevent it from happening with early detection.

Our bodies fight off HPV very well.  It's a common virus among sexually active people.  

Take some advil before your colposcopby... it will cause cramping.  They will put on a thick brown colored paste to stop your bleeding if they biopsy... over a few days that will come out with discharge, so don't be alarmed.  
Pelvic examination reveals an area on the cervix that looks raw, red, and inflamed.
A Pap smear may show atypical cells
Colposcopic examination reveals an area of raw, stripped, squamous epithelium
Cervical biopsy may be necessary
Your reply to my post didn;t help too much can you elaborate? thank you