Cervical Cancer Community
Spread?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Cervical Cancer.

Spread?

I'm 15 years old, and I was diagnosed with a cervical cancer virus last year, at the age of 14. There's a three-series shot that I could get to prevent the virus turning into cancer, and spreading, but to get the shot, you have to be 16. I would really like to know the possibility of the virus doing so in just a year. My mom and grandmother both have cervical cancer, and can no longer have kids, and I don't want the same thing to happen to me.
There are some forms of the HPV vaccine that can be given as young as 10 years old, which is when my niece got it. The recommended age is more like 16 because statistically the majority women start becoming sexually active closer to 16. Given your family history with cervical cancer, your doctor should grant your request for it.

Also not all HPV causes cervical cancer and not all cervical cancer is caused by HPV. People who get warts on their hand have a form of HPV, and it's only one form out of possibly hundreds. The vaccine only works against several forms of HPV that are most linked to cancer. It will not cure your the HPV you already have.  BUT even though you already have a form of HPV, you definitely should still get it as it would still protect you against others. My sister even got the vaccine after she got cervical cancer so it's never too late to get it.

That being said you should get your annual pap smear rain or shine to make sure nothing spreads. And there are several procedures that a dr can do before a hysterectomy to remove cancerous cells that will still allow you to be a mother at some point in time.

And now, a small lecture: condoms, condoms, condoms, condoms, condoms! HPV is an STD (and only one of the very many) that can be prevented by condom use. Even though you alluded to wanting to have a child at some point you really don't want or need one at 15.