Cervical Cancer Community
What does low level cancer cells mean from abnormal pap smear.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Cervical Cancer.

A bit worried. Had pap done 1 week ago from yesterday. Nurse called today to schedule a biopsy ASAP next week.
I asked her the results, and all she said was it came back abnormal for low level cancer cells. Squamous was a term she also used.

History.
I had a baby June 2011. Pap after birth, fine. Next pap, abnormal for precancerous cells, and dr instructed another pap in 6 months. That one should have happened last September.,I missed it because we moved across the state in July and I started a new job in August. I finally got in to have the pap last week, and now I'm being scheduled for a biopsy.

Can precancer cells chang that quickly? Does the abnormal pap of low level cancer cells mean (cancer)?

I'm a little freaked out. What symptoms should I look out for that could be related?

Thanks for any info.
Low-grade (LSIL) means that there are early changes in the size and shape of cells. They may also be referred to as cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN-1). Since there is abnormal PAP smear again, the doctor may perform endocervical curettage or a biopsy. A biopsy is the removal of cells or tissues from the abnormal area for examination under a microscope.
If the cells come abnormal, then treatment is decided.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

The biopsy is scheduled for this Friday.

I'm assuming that this means the cells have changed from "precancer" to actual cancer cells and the biopsy is needed for further diagnosis.

My grandmother had cervical cancer, then colon cancer. I was young when she was diagnosed so I do not know if the two were related.

I'm 42. I have a bad feeling about it. Would cervical cancer have other symptoms?