What is severe dyskaryosis?
My wife is 57 and recently received results advising that she has severe dyskaryosis following a smear test.She has suffered no sympoms prior to this.We are concerened and would like a little advice regarding the illness prior to her having a colposcopy.Can you advise?
There are a few conditions causing abnormal PAP smear. According to American pregnancy association these include,
• An infection or an inflammation
• Herpes
• Trichomoniasis
• Recent sexual activity
• HPV (Human Papilloma Virus)
• Dysplasia (abnormal cells that can be pre-cancerous)
If your wife is having severe dysplasia then she needs further investigations like colposcopy and biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. She should consult her gynecologist at the earliest.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.