Chemotherapy Community
Allergy reaction to chemotherapy?

Welcome to the Chemotherapy Community: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for chemotherapy patients ~ PAST or PRESENT. It is also for family, friends and loved ones of chemotherapy patients. Topics in this community include: Blood Tests, Bone Issues, Brain Issues, Complications, Dental Issues, Eye Disorders, Fatigue, Gastrointestinal Issues, Heart Issues, Infertility, Kidney Issues, Liver Issues, Living with Chemo, Long-term Effects, Lung Issues, Lymphedema, Memory Problems, Menopausal Symptoms, Neuropathy, Nutrition, Pain, Research, Skin Issues, Thyroid Issues.

Allergy reaction to chemotherapy?

I have been through two sessions oc chemo. The first time my WBC's shot way up to 14.8 so they reduced my neulasta to 3 mg. after the second round. Ten days later I started breaking out in hives, and macular rashes with tightness in my breathing that occurred in persistent cycles of 20 to 60 minutes. There have been no other environmental or dietary changes, etc... It has been 1 month since my last chemo and I am still having trouble with coughing and tightness in my chest. It is improving, but very slowly. I had IM solumedrol, Prevacid, and Benadryl with a script for epi-pens. My blood work 3 weeks ago showed toxic granulation and polychromasia at plus 1. I am thinking that I am still having an allergic response to the chemo (taxotere  and cytoxin). My next chemo was already postponed once and is currently scheduled for this week. My research has only validated my suspicion of allergic response to chemotherapy. My previous phone conversations with the medical staff, they are telling me it is very unlikely since it was 10 - 14 days after the Chemo. I am very concerned about getting another chemo tx. How concerned should I be about an anaphylactic reaction? Could this be a different type of reaction due to a reduced dose of neulasta? My tongue is still white with a pink stripe in the middle, I am very tired, my throat feels sore but has no sores on it. I did have vesicles on the sides of my throat but don't have any now. So, I am wondering if I may never have returned to normal WBC's and something else is going on. (No fever at any time). Looking for information and thoughts from someone who has dealt with this type od situation with patients in chemo. Thanks so much.