Chemotherapy Community
Differences Among Chemotherapies

Welcome to the Chemotherapy Community: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for chemotherapy patients ~ PAST or PRESENT. It is also for family, friends and loved ones of chemotherapy patients. Topics in this community include: Blood Tests, Bone Issues, Brain Issues, Complications, Dental Issues, Eye Disorders, Fatigue, Gastrointestinal Issues, Heart Issues, Infertility, Kidney Issues, Liver Issues, Living with Chemo, Long-term Effects, Lung Issues, Lymphedema, Memory Problems, Menopausal Symptoms, Neuropathy, Nutrition, Pain, Research, Skin Issues, Thyroid Issues.

Differences Among Chemotherapies

I realize that are numerous chemotherapies available but my dear friend has started a very intense course of a new chemo for pancreatic (Stage 3 with no liver involvement) cancer.  Takes a total of six hours each session but he was so very sick the first time, I cannot imagine how he will survive the rest.  After three sessions they will do another scan to see if there has been any tumor shrinkage and, if not, they will stop this vicious attack.  He has numerous drugs for the nausea which he says helps some but he's in a great deal of pain from the tumor itself and the morphine does not seem to be touching it.  I don't have a question I guess except my heart aching for him but has anyone here survived such a violent bout of chemo?
I can relate... my 81 year old mother has undergone chemotherapy, twice.
12 cycles of ABVD for the treatment of Hodgkin's Disease in 2008.
And, just last month... 4 infusions of Rituxan for the treatment of Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

No question about it... chemo is brutal!

My best wishes and prayers are with your friend.
The Yog Pranayam (breathing exercises) will  help with the side effects of chemo and also help in building the immune system. Cancer hates oxygen, so the extra oxygen getting into the blood, when doing pranayam, will help fight the cancer.
Build up your timing gradually. If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after 1 minute.

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose. Duration upto 5 minutes.Place your fists, with the thumb pointing up, on the the legs, above the the knee, and do bhastrika for one minute.Repeat this for one minute, but with the fists upside down, so that the thumb is pointing down, and resting on the legs.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 10 to 30 minutes twice a day. Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.
Children under 15 years – do for 5 to 10 minutes.

Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 11  times

Once you are better, continue the pranayam once a day.