Chemotherapy Expert Forum
Advice

Welcome to the International Chemotherapy forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

Advice

I am getting ready to start Doxil chemo tomorrow because I am having recurrent ovarian/peritoneal cancer.  I was in remission for almost 2 years but my CA 125 count the last time it was drawn was 704 which was early March.  My last CT scan didn't show anything and I was wanting to know since I am feeling fine, if I should wait to start chemo until something is detected on a CT scan or I should go ahead and start treatments right away?
A Ca125 level of 704 raises strong suspicion of relapse. You should undergo a PET-CT which may detect the areas involved even though the CT scan was unable to locate any tumor. Once you document the location and size of a lesion, it will be easy to measure your response to chemotherapy by repeat imaging after your courses are completed.
You were in remission for 2 years, and are likely to be platinum sensitive now. I hope you will have another long remission.
All the best, and God Bless!
Thanks for your response.  My last CT scan was 1/15/09 and my dr hasn't said anything about another CT scan.  Should I insist he order one?  I have asked him before about PET scan and he said I didn't need one of those because the CA 125 and CT scan are telling him what he needs to know.  
The treating doctor is the one who knows about all aspects of the case, and is thus in the best position to decide which tests are suitable.
Good Luck!