Chemotherapy Expert Forum
Curcumin and taxol and carboplatina

Welcome to the International Chemotherapy forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

Curcumin and taxol and carboplatina
My mother has been diagnosed with ovarian cancer- stage 1 c, grade 3- poorly differenciated. She went through 3 rounds of chemo- taxol and carboplatina. I have been reading about substances that could increase the effects of chemo and came upon curcumin. Curcumin is not so popular in Europe and in Bulgaria in particular.I read studies that curcumin enhances the effects of  Taxol and  inhibits the proliferation of Cisplatin-resistant ovarian cancer cells. However in one study about brest cancer  they say that curcumin interferes with some chemo drugs inhibiting their effects and advice patients agaist taking it. My mom is on taxol and carboplatin, not cisplatin, and I have met no studies about the interference on curcumin on carboplatina; although they are platinium drugs there might be diference in their action.
Can you tell me is it save to her to take curcumin during chemo, could it enhance the effects it has?
There are no standard guidelines about the use of curcumin in cancer therapy. There are some reports about beneficial effects in some cancers, however not all studies support such a notion. So my answer to your question is "I am not sure".
Stage 1c ovarian cancer usually has a good prognosis after appropriate surgery and platinum based doublet chemotherapy.
All the best, and God Bless.