Chemotherapy Expert Forum
Do I require chemotherapy

Welcome to the International Chemotherapy forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

Do I require chemotherapy
Age 62
I had a lumpectomy two weeks ago, margins were clear, grade 3 - tumour 2 cm.
They removed 15 lymph nodes, only one was cancerous.
Radiation is a definite, should I have chemo?
Very unsure what to do....

With modern medical advances, especially effective anti-emetics, and growth factors (filgrastim), chemotherapy has become safer and more tolerable over the last decade or so.

Hair loss will be your major side effect, and some intermittent illnesses may also be expected during the course of chemotherapy. But your overall long-term benefit will be much more than these temporary effects.

All the Best!
With a tumor of size 2 cm, there is no controversy - you must take chemotherapy. Also, you have a high grade tumor, and one axillary lymph node metastasis present. These are all additional reasons for you to take chemotherapy.
What is your ER, PR, and Her2Neu status? These will determine more clearly the exact chemotherapy you should get, and if necessary, targeted therapy with monoclonal antibody and hormones.
All the best, and God Bless!
Thank you for you comments, I am waiting for an appointment with a  medical oncologist.
When I was at my followup appointment with the surgeon on Monday the the estrogen receptor  report was not back from the pathology yet.
I am supposed to followup this Monday.
I guess I know inside that I require chemo, but it scares the **** out of me :)
Thanks again for report.
Jacquie
What did the test results show, and how did the meeting with the oncologist go?
Good Luck!