Chemotherapy Expert Forum
Hydrea and Hair Loss

Welcome to the International Chemotherapy forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

Hydrea and Hair Loss

I am new to this forum and have seen many questions pertaining to Hydrea and their loss of hair. Most of these questions were listed under Prostate Cancer.  I too do not have prostate cancer but, was diagnosed with polycythemia vera and am taking Hydroxyurea as a long lifetime treatment.  I also have a significant amount of hairloss.  Is there anything we can do to save our hair?  I also would like to impose the question of prognosis for polycythemia vera. None of the doctors are willing to state or predict life expectancy, I only know what I've read on the internet.  Thank you for answering our questions.  
Tammy
All anti-neoplastic drugs may cause hair loss, although this side effect is relatively rare with hydroxyurea (Hydrea).
Many interventions have been tried to prevent chemotherapy-induced hair loss, but none are uniformly successful. You may discuss the option of regular phlebotomy (blood letting) with your treating doctor.
Polycythemia vera is an acquired stem cell disorder caused by mutations in the JAK2 gene. It is difficult to predict the exact outcome of this disease in a particular. Average survival rates are generalizations, not applicable to a particular patient. The prognosis is relatively good. Newer techniques are being tried, including imatinib and stem cell transplantation.
All the best, and God Bless!
You are very kind answering less vital questions that seem to evade other treating physicians.  The comments made to Tammy is an excellent example.

May God Bless you always,

Howard
Hi Howard,
Thanks for your kind words.
May God bless you too!