Chemotherapy Expert Forum
Taxol Reaction

Welcome to the International Chemotherapy forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

Taxol Reaction
I have stage III IDC grade 3.  I am doing neoadjavant Chemo.  I finished 4 cycles A/C and 1 Cycle of Taxol. On my second treatment I had a bad reaction; nausia, vommiting, blood pressure drop, flushing.  They gave me more Benadryl and tried to restart at which time I broke out in hives.  I had no problems the first time.  We stopped the treatment and the Dr has me taking Dexamethasone over the weekend in prep for trying again on Monday.  Is this unusual to not react one time but have a reaction on other treatments?  Is there anything further I can do to prepare myself for better success?
Taxol is known to be associated with occasional hypersensitivity reactions which may include flushing, itching, feeling of suffocation, drop in blood pressure and in severe cases, difficulty in breathing, laryngeal edema etc. Premedication with an antihistaminic drug such as benadryl and a steroid such as dexamethasone is routinely given one day prior to and immediately before administering Taxol. The infusion should be given slowly over 3-4 hrs with constant monitoring for any hypersensitivity reactions. If the hypersensitivity reactions recur and are severe, the Taxol needs to be stopped altogether and an alternative chemotherapy drug may be adminstered.