Chemotherapy Expert Forum
Taxotere Reaction

Welcome to the International Chemotherapy forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

Taxotere Reaction
My mother, 63 years old, was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in Dec 2008. She underwent mastectomy of right breast in Jan 2009 and subsequently chemo=therapy was started. First 4 cycles (21 days) of Adriamycin (Adrioblastina) – 108 mg and Cyclophosphamide (Evdoxon) – 1080 mg was successfully completed w/o any severe side effects.
First cycle of Taxotere – 200 mg, started on May 2nd 2009 and ever since she is in bad shape; mainly due to persistent fever. I have downloaded the ‘Taxotere’ side effects literature and it does say to consult the doctor if fever persists, which she has done, however still no one knows what infection she might have. She has been hospitalized with an antibiotic course completed a few days ago. Neupogene was administered for low white blood cells count, which is O.K now. Doctor of infectious diseases has also check her out and various tests were done, however the fever cycles of frequency 6-8 hours with fever range of 99 – 100.2 remains, which is a great cause for concern to say the least.
Having said that, can someone provide any feedback as what to do next? Why the fever remains? Should she be even considering another dose of ‘Taxotere’, due in a week’s time, in this condition?
Feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,

Hammad Khan
Dear Mr Khan,
Chemotherapy is associated with a number of side effects. One such important complication following chemotherapy is low WBC counts and fever (termed "febrile neutropenia" by doctors).
It appears that your mother has had infection and fever following Taxotere (Pl check if she was indeed given the dose mentioned by you). Common causes are gram negative bacteria, and the patient often needs higher antibiotics. If she is still running fever, she needs proper evaluation and treatment of the residual infection before the next cycle of the chemotherapy.
I wish her all the very best!  

Dr. Saini,

Thank you for the feedback. The dose mentioned is correct, kindly advise as per your calculation, what the dose should be? Her height is 5' 3" and weight 84Kg.

Regards,
Hammad Khan
Dear Mr Khan,
Taxotere is usually administered at around 75 mg per square meter 3 weekly, but the treating oncologist sometimes adjusts this based on clinical parameters.
I hope your mother is now feeling better.
All the best!
A related discussion, FOLFOX chemotherapy side effects was started.