Chemotherapy Expert Forum
what could this be?
About This Forum:

Welcome to the International Chemotherapy forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

what could this be?

I am 17 years of age, and have a pretty large lump on my left bottom shin. I have had this lump for at the very least four years. It hurts really badly but not all of the time, probably about once or so a month it hurts for about a week non-stop. I have broken the tubular bone in the same leg about six years ago but higher then where the lump/ pain is. The pain has become quite unbearable, I am not able to run, stand or really walk much with out it hurting badly. I have researched some possible things it could be n found that Osteosarcoma in which I have all of the symptoms. I was wondering if this could be what’s wrong? and if not, what it could be.
Related Discussions
322973_tn?1239908038
Hi,
If you have had this lump for over 4 years, it is unlikely to be osteosarcoma (but not impossible). Osteosarcoma is usually an aggressive tumor, and tends to grow quickly to involve local tissues and then distant sites, especially the lungs. Osteosarcomas usually affect the bones near the knee joint, although, of course, they may occur at other sites as well.
In your case, the site of pain and swelling are near a site of previous fracture. Please consult an orthopedic surgeon to evaluate your shin swelling. An MRI or a CT scan would be very useful. This would establish the nature of the swelling (inflammatory, infective, mal-united fragments of bone, sequestrum, or mass) and guide further treatment.
All the best, and God Bless!
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...