Chiari Malformation Community
Thursday's Recipe Trade Thread~~~

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Thursday's Recipe Trade Thread~~~

Hi All since the terminology thread was not going over well, and we had people interested in trading recipes

I hope this thread will be more active and that we can keep in mind that we also have several trying to lose weight...lol...so do post some recipes with us in mind,....

Have fun : )
I like a recipe my parents make. Only difference is the meat. You can also do it with green beans instead of peas. I have no idea how the measurements go sorry about that.

ingredients.
peas
rice
ground turkey (or cubed lamb (lots of work though))
diced tomatoes
any herbs and spices you like.
Plain nonfat yogurt (optional) garish

instructions
1. Put peas ground turkey and diced tomatoes in a big pot and add the herbs while it is heating up. Till the turkey is cooked.

2. In another pot cook the rice till it is fully cooked.

3. Put rice in the bottom of the bowl add the cooked items on top and garish with nonfat yogurt if desired.

4. Serve.
I love this yakisoba dish,

I pkg. Yakisoba noodles (1 lb in refridgerated section)
I pkg firm tofu, pressed
I red bell pepper
Shitake mushrooms chopped
Red onion
Green bell pepper
Lots of minced garlic
Low sodium soy sauce
I small pkg sugar snap pea
Olive oil
Toasted sesame oil
Sesame seeds

Heat up oil in wok
Stir fry veggies and add yakisoba with tofu
Add soy sauce and sesame seeds

Enjoy
sounds delicious. Can't wait to try.

I have GERD and can not eat certain things....so it may appear to the average person that I am picky, but I am just being practical, and avoiding things I know from experience will make me ill....

SO, I am not real adventuresome in trying things, but I do plan on adding my recipes and not just meals, but my fav baked goods too : P
Hey ma,

Can't wait to try your recipes. I bet they're delicious!!
My recipe doesn't give me medical problems and the doctors keep insisting I have gerd (although it's been proven I don't) but avoiding certain foods is my speciality so the peas recipe as long as you don't add hot spices should be fine.
Baking is something I love to do, but have not been able to do as often as I use to. Here's a recipe that my co-workers are always begging me to make.

Banana Nut Bread Cookies

• 1 cup butter
• ½  cup white sugar
• ½ cup brown sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 large over riped bananas, peeled and mashed
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon baking powder
• ½ cup nuts

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease baking sheets.
In a medium bowl, cream together butter and the sugars until smooth. Beat in eggs, vanilla extract, and banana. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; blend thoroughly into the butter mixture to make a sticky batter. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets.
Bake 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned.

Until I started needing potassium each day, my kids would purposely not eat the bananas when I bought them so they would get over ripe and I would have to make a batch.

Dawn :)

Yum!
Some of these sound so delish !!!!! I cannot wait to trry them :)

Most of my recipes are not that health nut persay, but they aren't fatty either.
Here is one of my hubby's favs !!!

Honey Lemon smoked Salmon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Take a peice of salmon and fillet it.
poke holes in it with a fork. (3 or 4 times)

In a bowl mix 1/4 cup of honey 1/2 lemon squeezed, and 2tsp. of I cant believe its not butter. Microwave for 30-40seconds.

Take mix and pour over salmon fillets.

In baking dish bake for 15-20 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
I normally make this with a brown rice sauteed with mushrooms and butter and server salmon over rice with a slice of lemon to garnish.

Hope you all like it !
Gluten free and AMAZING,,,

http://elisabethhasselbeck.com/blog/post/my-mom-s-banana-bread-2
http://blog.souplantation.com/golden-ya/

This soup is so good too!
I really want to try this, but I don't like any type of butter even the I can't believe type. Is there a substitute?
here is a spread thats like butter but made with yogurt. it tastes good and is better for you, but its a lot softer than butter so it might not work in certain recipes. if you go to this website:
http://www.makinglifebetter.com/brands/brummelbrown/

its on the bottom left of the page. pretty sure you can get it at most stores.

WOW I have to dig out my recipes.....I know them just not all the amounts...I just kinda throw things together....and I have to figure it out so I can share them....lol....
You could just leave the butter out. I have done it without the butter too and it comes out just as well ... just add a little water for a thinner consistency because the honey has to be thinned. It is really good though :)
I can't wait to try it. It sounds yummy and healthy.

Anyone have a suggestion for the sauce for a boiled aritchoke.

At a resturant I came up with a great tasting way to eat brookley can't spell it, it's the big green vegetable. Add any balsamic vinegar. It's delicious just don't add vinegrette without being careful about the amount. Vinegar is better healthy by itself

Hi all I am in NY at my DD's and do not have my recipes to put nething up for this week....I will look for her recipe book to see if ne of mine r in there,

we r getting a great selection of recipes...ne for cutting back on calories?
Toss non fat plain yogurt instead of sour cream on anything you put sour cream on and it'd taste the same. Me I think it tastes better. More creamy. If you want a sour taste greek yogurt seems to work.

This is so good!

This is so good!

Mix in bowl
1 pkg yellow cake mix
2 cups applesauce unsweetened
2 eggs

Mix & set aside
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon*( can use brown sugar instead of this mixture)

Slice one apple after removing skin

grease and flour bundt pan

sprinkle brown sugar  in the bottom of the pan and place apple slices on top of the brown sugar....add 1/3 of the cake batter...then sprinkle brown sugar or cinnamon mixture and place more apples....repeat this step

when all the batter is in the pan u can add the last of the cinnamon or brown sugar and apple slices.

Bake @ 350 for 40 mins
Selma, I can not wait to try that !!! It sounds so yummy !! My hubby would love this. Tyring to decide what toput up this week~ hmmm....

It is a very yummy cake the brown sugar is not part of the original recipe, but I feel it is ok since it does call for sugar...and I tend to use less then it calls for.

I love to cook!  I have several recipes I love, but I'll go for this one; every time I make it, I get asked for the recipe. I threw this together a while back since I can be a little picky, and a lot of crab salads had a bunch of stuff in them I don't like.  I'm actually making a batch of it this weekend.  I don't have exact measurements for it, but you can tweak it to your liking. :)

Em's Crab Salad

Take equal parts cooked and cooled shell pasta and flaked crab meat (the fake stuff) and throw in a bowl.  Run a good amount of frozen peas under warm water until thawed but not mushy, and toss in the bowl.  Add a decent amount of cubed cheese (a low-fat old cheddar is a fine pick), and mix all together.  In a separate smaller bowl, mix together low-fat mayonaise, garlic salt, black pepper, a tiny little bit of sugar and some lemon juice, all to taste.  Add the dressing to the pasta-crab-cheese-peas bowl, and mix well.  Adjust dressing and seasoning to taste from there.  

There!  It'll keep in the fridge for a while too, and it makes a great side.

I am going to share this one that I kind of came up with on my own due to a need for something healthy. My hubby and I are on a weight loss trial that we have tailored to our liking.

Candy Wheat Wraps

First take a type of meat of your choice( chicken or steak is what I used)
Season it lightly with Italian dressing(light of course)
Set aside. Preheat oven to 400
Take an entire onion and slice longways
In a skillet add the onion and then a sugar substitute of choice ( I used 3-4 tbsp)
a small amount of butter substitute,(1 tsp)
Then heat to high and add a descent amount of honey over the onions
Put meat of choice in oven until thoroughlyu cooked
Once a sauce has formed over the onions reduce heat and allow to simmer until the onions become soft like noodles
Take steak or meat out and slice to slivers
Take a wheat wrap or wrap of your choice and put in meat and onions.
If you want to you can add a sauce, but the onions really provide a sauce like taste.
Wrap it up and bam yummy in my tummy.

My hubby added lettuce to his as well.
We had this last nigh and to my suprise it was REALLY good !! Think I am going to make Selma's Apple Sauce cake today....It just sounds incredible :)

ur recipe sounds interesting, will have to pass this along to the family : )

Let me know if u make the cake, it is sooooo good.
I have many favorites, but I unfortunately Selma and I cook the same way. My grandma passed down her nack for "dump and throw" and "pinch and eye-ball" technique.  I have also adopted her pharse that she tells all of her guests when she gets a compliment..."If you love, you better get your fill of it, because next time it may have a whole new flavor"...   My cooking tends to humor my DH, whom has over 12 years of cooking and baking experience for resorts.   Lets just say baking frustrates me because I actually have use the measuring tools ;)  
Lol Jiggle, that is how my mom and grandmother cooked as well, and I must admit, the same way I cook. My absolute favs are always different but somewhat the same. I only put measurements on my recipes here for guesstimates...lol. Anytime I try to measure and follow actual recipes, I tend to screw it up. I couldnt even begin to list here my recipe for crawfish and sausage (andoullie) pasta, my red beans and rice, my roast rice and gravy (actually my mothers) or her spaghetti...I know how to make them, and what goes in them...but I have no actual recipe with amounts...just like my nanny's (grandmother) chicken fricasy!!!! Oh how I wish I would have gotten some idea of how to cook it before she passed, I have tried and tried and still no luck, even with her goolash that she made...I am not even close. My meatloaf recpipe is so odd and I do it different everytime. My hubbyy keeps trying to get me to write down some of my recipes so that the kids will have them when they get older, and I have tried so many times. They better watch and learn in the kitchen just Iike my mom and I did or they may just be screwed.....lol!!!
That's excatly how I cook to. But I would like to have a good chicken fricasy recepie! My greatest soupe or even spagetti sauce are called Tousse-qui for in french: everything left in the fridge ;)  Everytime it's different, but the familly love it the same still.
Thats how I learned too Rahe!  There is something to be said about learning to feel the texture, and taste what is missing or needs to be added. I too screw it up when I measure...which blows my husbands mind! These days I blame the chiari ;) .  I would love to watch you make some of these southern dishes. Growing up we were a host family for the Up with People group and had a gal from down south stay with us. Her mom sent her all the spices and she made us a jambalya sp?...it was the most amazing dish!
Jiggle
I just made Jambalaya yesterday !!! haha...Thats one I really have no clue how I make it...THere are just things that go in and its almost second nature I have been doing it so long. We served pastalaya (same as jambalaya, but with pasta instead of rice) at our wedding. You are so right too about the spices...you have to be in Louisiana to get them or order them from here. I would be lost without my tony's ...lol. Next time I make one of those dishes, I will try and write it down, if I remember ( chiari brain..hehe). I would love to show you :)

Hi All...what are we making this week???

Since I am home I should be able to pull out my recipes and add one this week....Halupkies or Manicotti....hmmmm
I've changed my diet for the millionth time (exaggerating). I read in one of the posts about I forgot what was breakfast (but I like nonfat plain yogurt and real strawberries cut and put on the bottom of my bowl and than mixed not premixed so I like that) and I have been guilty of doing the same for dinner as for lunch steamed vegetable (broccoli or coliflower) brown rice and steamed chicken. It's tasty.
http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/the-revolution/blog/diet-and-exercise/elisabeth-hasselbeck-chocolately-gluten-free-brownie-recipe

Yummy gluten free brownies:)

I had this this AM for breakfast, but I add Grape nuts Cereal it is much better then the pre mixed fruit flavors.....

My point exactly. My fav. is strawberries. I'm guilty of eating the diced peaches for a snack instead of part of my yogurt. I love peaches. What fruits do you like?
Oooohhh...Selma....Manicotti, I dont have a clue how to make it, but I would love to get my hands on a good recipe for it.
Please share if you feel like it!!!

Not sure what to share this week.... I am trying to share my more weight friendly ones, but my enchilda recipe is really on my mind....yum !
I not a fruit lover! But I like bleuberries, rasberrries and cranberries. Yes they are all berries and the dietetist I met this week told me that I have to learn to eat other kind of fruits.
I can't get my doctor to send me to one. :( even though he is a gi doctor and is trying everything else.

I also love peaches.....and have added them to my yogurt as well.....I also love apricot in it too...lol...raspberry....they r all yummy : P
I dont know! I just told my doctor: I need, and I want to lose weight and I want to have help can you send me to a nutritionist. And she did! I also told my doctor that I did not want to have any weight lost drugs. She didnt ask more question she just did the referal.
I love apricots too but I can't find them. Yummy. Your making me hungry.
I tried that with my primary once and they sent me to a group weight loss program. It didn't work for me because I need individual diet due to my stomach problems.

When I can not find fresh fruit, I do get the Polnar all fruit as it is pretty good and not a lot of additives.....

I will dig out my Manicotti recipe

I have it with a meat and cheese and a spinach and cheese...hmmmm do u want both ??

We need to get Lourdes posting in here....she is always cooking something that sounds amazing
Either sounds yummy, which ever you desire :) or both ;)

I just had a cup of yogurt with fresh Louisiana strawberries, yum yum!! I also like peaches, or bananas or apples, or blueberries...well, lol you all get the point...ILOVE Fruit and so do my kids...I cant keep it in the house, at all...I guess thats a good thing. But..I must admit that I hid my strawberries so that I could have some. oops :/
Can't blame you. I deny my roommates access to my strawberries because I love them so much. Can you send me some Louisiana ones. ;) Sounds delicious

1-15 oz cont. of ricotta cheese
1-10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach thawed and squeezes dry ( I use fresh spinach dry)
  ! pkg fresh Basil
  1/2 cup minced onion
  1 egg
  2 tsps minced fresh parsley ( I use Italian parsley)
  1/2 tsp pepper
  1/4 tsp garlic pwdr ( I also use some minced garlic)
  1 1/2cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
  1/2 cup grated Parmesean cheese divided
   2 -26 oz jars of sauce tomato or a fettuccine (when using tomato I also add a can of diced tomatoes)
   1 1/2 cups water( wait to see texture if it is needed do not add blindly)
    1 box of manicotti shells

Start  with a large pot to make your sauce....when it is tomato I start with olive oil and saute onions and garlic....add the diced tomatoes and then the sauce...simmer until hot. ( I also add fresh basil  to the sauce and the mixture so divide it)

Set sauce aside

Preheat oven to 350 Bake 45 to 55 mins

In a lg bowl, combine spinach ( when using fresh, make sure it is clean and dry...and to cut easily stack the leaves 6 to 7 and then roll them length wise and using tour kitchen shears cut in thin slices )Cut your parsley with the kitchen shears too.

Combine the Ricotta cheese, onion, egg with the spinach and parsley, pepper and garlic pwdr and minced garlic(to taste)
Add 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Mix well.

If this is dry and thick, slowly add the water....

Using a 9x13 pan....lightly cover the bottom with the warm sauce u prepared earlier.....Stuff the shells with the mixture ( if u have a pastry bag  you can pipe this cheese filling into the shells.
Set the shells into the pan on top of the warm sauce.

If u plan on having this the same night fill all the shells and cover with the remaining sauce.[If u are preparing this a day ahead, cover with the remaining sauce and cover and place in the fridge- remove from fridge 30 mins prior to baking the following night.]

Bake for 30 to 40 mins...then add some more mozzarella on top of the shells and bake remaining time

Enjoy : P

U will need 2 boxes of shells...not sure y I said 1....lol....I just made this and DH got only 1 box and I had leftover filling....sorry..

Any one have recipes for this week that nsalem can make without cooking.....and she is trying to lose weight.
That is a hard one! No cooking, and losing weight?? Let me see what I can find...

Selma, I am planning to make the mannicoti on Saturday if all goes as planned ! I cannot wait to try it :)

Good...I will add the meat and cheese one with tomato sauce too.....

Let me know how u like it : )

Hi all ne one up to something different for Easter?

Snickerdoodle Bread

Recipe Type: Bread

Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Serves: 4 loafs
A sugar and cinnamon coated bread that will please any Snickerdoodle fan.
Ingredients
2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. sour cream
1 pkg. Hershey’s cinnamon chips
TOPPING:
3 T. sugar
3 t. cinnamon
Instructions
Cream butter, sugar, salt and cinnamon until fluffy. Add eggs and mix well.
Add vanilla and sour cream and mix well.
Mix flour and baking powder in a separate bowl. Add to wet ingredients and mix until all combined.
Add cinnamon chips and stir into batter. Set aside.
Spoon batter into 4 mini loaf pans until about 2/3 full.
Mix 3 T. sugar and 3 t. cinnamon in a bowl and sprinkle over the batter in each loaf pan.
Bake at 350 for 35-38 minutes. Let cool before removing from pan.

ENJOY!
i really like this website: skinnytaste.com. Gina has nutritional breakdown of each recipe she posts and they're all WW friendly.

My faves: Baked Chicken Parmesan, Pollo Sobroso & most of all, pork chops with dijon mustard & mushroom sauce.
I made Slowcooker Chili for supper and Bannock.

I usualy don't messure much but this is aproximativly the recepie:

Chili

2 onion choped
5 galic clove minced
1 1/2 the spoon dry hot pepper
2 bell peper choped
2 to 3 table spoon olive oil
1/2 pound ground turkey
2 can of tomato
salt and peper
3 table spoon cumin
2 table spoon sugar
1 can of broth
1 can of red bean drain and rince
1 can Chickpea drain and rinse
2 carotte grated
1 small can tomato paste
1 table spoon origano
1/2 the spoon tumeric

sauter the meat with the oil and half the onion and garlic. When cooked put all the ingredients in a large slowcooker for 6 hours.

Bannock

6 cup flour
2 the spoon salt
4 table spoon baking soda
1/2 cup of soft or melted butter
more or less 3 cup of cold water

pre-heat the oven at 350. mix everithing to getter until a texture between crumbly and smooth. shape hand size bread and cook 30 minutes. You can also frie this bread in a skillet in a little oil, this is how I make my hubby portion. It's also greath on a stick by the fire :)

This is one of my familly favorite.

My DH is a Chili freak and I know will want this recipe...thanks for sharing : )
You can play with the spices if you want it hotter. I sometime put tabasco in it but I ran short!!!

He is into creating diff Chili recipes that DD got him a chili recipe book for Christmas....lol....and he does play with ingredients....

can we subtract the hot spices. I usually avoid them.
I believe so!
Here is one that I am not sure many her can get the ingredients to make:

Homemade Jambalaya

YOu will need:

Small spoon of crab boil
1/2 package of brown gravy
Tony Chacheries (or season all)
2-3 large drops of worstichiere)
2 shakes of cayenne ( you can leave this out if you arent going for spicy)

1 8 oz can of tomatoe paste
1 lb, chicken
1 lb. andoullie (sausage of your choice if you cant find andouille)
2 cups cooked rice
onion and bellpepper

cut chicken and sausage into small chunks and slices
while you are cutting the meat, cook rice
put can of tomato paste in pan and add mined onions and bellpeppers
cook down tomatoe sauce for 10 minutes on low (sautee sort of)
set aside

in large skillet/pot
add in meat (seasoned to taste) ( not sure you all can get the right spices)
once meat is thoroughly cooked add in rice and mix togetrher
then add brown gravy mix and 1/2 cup of water, allow to simmer on low until water and sauce thickens a little
Once sauce has thickened, add in tomatoe sauce mixture with onions and bellpeppers and stir together.
add worstichiere
add in spoon of crab boil ( again if you dont want it spicy, you can leave it out)
add in tony's to taste (or season all)
then I normally just put a dash of cayenne. ( you can also leave out if you need to)
Once you have added all of this, take a spoon or two of butter and stir into the jambalaya.
Cook on low, constantly stirring for 10 minutes.

Finally, Enojoy this southern Louisiana classic :)
I know this one isn't healthy, but it is very good
I have never wrote my recipe down, as I am a throw it in kind of cooker, and I have never had a recipe...especially for jambalaya.

Selma, I also made my famous buttercream choc cake last night for muy son to celebrate him making the Honor Roll ! It was yummy :)
I'll try your recepie sometime :)

What is crab  boil?
It is a blended seasoning that people use to boil shrimp, crawfish, crabs...etc. . I am not sure that you can find it other than down here, but you can use cayenne/ pepper/lemon to blend yourself.

Oh ok...I  know DD and her hubby  and my DH would love this....I can not eat nething spicy...so this is not for me, but I would make it for them : )

I am sure if u leave out the cayenne pepper it would not be the same... or the bell pepper.... this is a pepper dish...lol...
I dont actually use the cayenne in mine...it is too hot for the kids, and honestly I like it better without, as I cant stand foods that are too hot with pepper. So, it still works without :)

Well that is good to know, but what about the bell pepper?
Ooops, yeah I guess there is no substitue for that, other than to leave it out. Which I have done before...started making it thinking I had everything, and didnt. I almost always have the ingredients on hand in my house, lol.

You may want to avoid all together though since you deal with GERD. I doubt tht tomato paste would agree with you, and that is one thing that you can't substitute. I'm sorry Selma, I wish I could make you some for your DD and SIL, and DH, and send it up to you. I love making it, and would love to share a big ol' pot a Gumbo with y'all also. LOL, a little southern hospitality goes a long way :)

Awww u r too sweet thanks....I know I can not have pepper, no matter what, so I avoid it....yrs ago, well minded people thought I could eat the dish and not the pepper, but, sadly it flavors it and still affects me...I love the flavor and the smell of it cooking, just can not eat it...and the tomato...is my favorite..and I have to watch eating that as well....1 a week and that is it.....otherwise I will have a problem.

I will see about trying this one day out on the grill...as it has a side burner....a good outside dish.....I know they all will love it.
Ingredients

1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk (nonfat, if possible)
1 12 oz bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup mini marshmallows
Directions

1Use a paper towel to grease an 8x8x2-inch pan with butter -- all over the sides and bottom. Set aside.
2Combine the sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips in a saucepan. Heat the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, until the chocolate is completely melted. Once the mixture is smooth, remove the pan from the heat.
3Stir in the vanilla extract until completely combined. Add the marshmallows and stir just enough to envelope them in the fudge mixture -- but don't overstir, the marshmallows will melt in if you stir too long.
4Pour the fudge into the prepared pan and smooth the top slightly. Refrigerate to set, 1 1/2 hours or longer. Once set, cut into 1-inch squares and devour.
yummy how many calories would it cost me though. That sounds good.

Not sure what the calories r on this one...but it is quick, easy and good...just eat a little...lol...this is what I made for the DH for valentines day
OOOHHH !!! Selma ...this sounds sooooo yummy, and I havent had anything chocolate since before my juice diet/ reg. diet started two weeks ago!!! I may just have to cave for this recipe though...and I could make it for Easter as well !!!   :)

There u go....and like I said it was very easy, fast....and yummy : P
How is your juice diet? I thought you finished it.
I did finish the stictly juice part of it. Now I am drinking two juices a day, have one sensible meal, and adding in two low cvalorie snacks a day. It wen t very well, and have lost 8 lbs so far. It is much easier not that it is not just juice and since I found out that I can use v8 and v8 splash for my juices. They are much yummoer than the straight veggie juice that I had to make at the beginning . It was rough for the first three days, after that it went really smooth as I was used to it. The juice has so much nutrition that it is really filling, especially since your body isnt trying to process all the articfical gunk. It absorbs all of the nutrients and natural vitamins from the veggies and fruits and I really had/have alot more energy than I did. Still so of lagging, but not due to the fast, or diet, just because my meds sort of slow me down. Are you still trying to diet?
Anyone have anything good for tonight? I need an idea...lol!

What did u end up making?...sorry I went out....not sure I would have had a quick meal idea...curious as to what u did have : )
Threw together a quick Jambalaya. It only takes me about 30 minutes to cook it, now that I have got it down pat.  It wasnt that easy fove years ago...lol. DId you have a good time Selma?

I did : )

The show could have been much better....but I had a good time with my niece who is turning 21 this weekend and going in the Navy soon.....so got to get my time in with her ; )

Sorry I forgot to post this last night....sigh...neone have nething to add this week??

well...I guess everyone was busy with the holiday last week to add to the thread.....how about this week?

I made popcorn bunny butt...lol....I wanted to make a popcorn bunny,but it was too hot to handle....so it is popcorn bunny butt....more like a lump of popcorn, but DD said it was good that is all that matters : P
Jeez, don't you guys have problems with fatigue?  This is the easiest, healthiest recipe I know:  open can of Rotel(a spiced tomato mix), open can of organic white beans,heat, then serve over brown rice.
Anyone have any easy and yummy recipes for eggplant?  Our DD boyfriend brought me two large ones from his garden. I use to make eggplant parmesan (?sp) but not sure I can handle all the work.  Was thinking about dipping it in roasted garlic EVOO from our local olive mill and then spices and grilling it. Not sure what the outcome will be if I do that, or if it will interest the kiddos. Any ideas?
Jiggle
Oh, and I forgot the raddishs also. I have a huge bag that he brought me. What can I do with all of those?
Jiggle

Well u have me stumped...those r 2 things I do not have a recipe for.....but I am sure we  have someone on here that does.....

Hi all...ne good recipes for this week...be it a weight conscience one or not

: P
My fav. coslaw.

One head of cabbage thinly sliced.
about 1 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 dash salt.

toss cabbage with the lemon juice olive oil and salt and serve. Adjust igredients according to taste.
This one is definitely not healthy, however it is a must share !!

Fried Oreos :)

Take 1 package oreos 24 hrs before and put in feezer.

Mix any choice of pancake batter.
Mix at least enough for 8 pancakes

Take oreos out of freezer.

Heat oil in small pot.

Dip frozen oreos in pancake batter, and fry. When they batter turns a light golden brown...THEY are DONE !!

Allow to cool for a few minutes, and indulge :)

Oh my goodness I know my SIL will love these....will try and let u know : )

Well...ne recipes to add this week ....how about summertime grill recipes.....

Hi all...there were no recipes added last week....how about this week????
I never tried this but I bet it would taste good. I just never had a chance to use it.

Healthy banana split
1 banana split in half
3 strawberries cut in half
3 cherries
sprinkles if desired

Have a banana split container preferred but a plate can work too just not as good.
Put the bananas on the side like a real banana split
put the three strawberries where you would put the ice cream usually
put the cherries between the cut strawberries
and add sprinkles on top. Serve.
That sounds good !!! I have one to add. I have to find it though. Will post it tonight :)

Ne new recipes this week????
I just want to know if anyone tried my healthy banana split
This is just a trow together stir fry that I came up  with in a pinch for dinner and it turned out to be yummy.

Take one package of frozen stir fry, putit in pan and simmer on med. with butter or butter substitute.
Take a package of round steaks and soak in a butter and orange marinade.
once veggies are tender set aside.
Cook meat in pan in a small amount of grease until thoroughly cooked. add in the stir fry including all the marinade. ( make extra so you have some left over)
Simmer on llow 15minutes and enjoy :)

REcipe for the orange marmalade

1 orange peeled.
2-4 tsp of butter depending on amount of people you are serving
Squeeze orange until all juice is in the bowl. You may need two oranges
add a little worstichiere
Now take a veggie peeler and use it lighty slice up small and thin peices of at least ones orange.
Heat in small pot until all butter is melted.
marinate meat in for 10 minutes and add the rest to the stir fry after you have mixed it all together.

Hope you all tlike this. It is super easy to make and if you use a butter substitute it is a healty choice

Ok...looking for recipes...I do not have my recipes with me in NY...so, I hope someone adds some this week : )
My homemade pancake:

2 cup white flour
1 cup aotmeal
1 table spoon ground flax seeds
1 the spoon vanila
1 table spoon brown sugar
2 eggs
enoughf water or milk to make a silky batter

Cook in a hot skillet with a little butter or butter substitue. Serve with maple sirup ;-p

Sounds yummy.....I never cooked with flax seed, may I ask what does it add?? Flavor or something else?
Flax seed change a little bit the flavor, but I use it mostly there for it's omega 3's.
WOW....I have never had home made  pancakes from scratch. I don;t have the flax seeds....can I leave them out, or where can I find them? My kids would absolutely love this !!!! They love when I make pancakes....especially banana pancakes....it is a christmas morning tradition.

So if it is for the omega's I will look to see if I can find it , I wondered if it had a taste as well...that is good to know....

Rahe u could leave the flax seed out....

This does sound so yummy : P
I forgot to had the baking powder to my recepie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 full the spoon or a little more if you like them realy fluffy.

Sorry my Chiari brain just realised it! I forgot to say that it also need baking powder. I'm so sorry!

That is for the pancake recipe?...lol..no worries we can fix that up....
Yes for the pancake.  Thanks

No worries....there is a glitch right now, but as soon as it is fixed, I will get the recipe all together : )
I made the pancakes for breakfast...and now my kids are asking me for pancakes for dinner...lol. Thanks for the recipe!!!

glad  to hear u tried the recipe...did u get the flax seed?...just wondering.
No, I didnt get the  flax seed. I just made it without. They really enjoyed it and they were very yumy :)

Thanks, I wondered bcuz I wonder what added flavor the flax seed may give.....

I will have to try this.
Here is a new one I just got-

Snickerdoodle Muffins
slightly modified from Culinary Concoctions by* Peabody

2 sticks unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/4 cup sour cream
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour

1/2 cup sugar and 1 TBSP cinnamon mixed together for rolling*

1.Cream the butter and sugar until soft about 3 to 5 minutes. Add in the vanilla. Add in the eggs one at a time and mix until each is incorporated.

2.In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cream of tartar and nutmeg.

3.Add the flour mixture and the sour cream alternately to the egg-butter mixture in the additions. Start with the flour and end with the flour. Scrape the bowl occasionally.

4. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out muffin batter one at a time and drop into a shallow bowl filled with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Roll the muffin around in the mixture until it is covered completely in cinnamon sugar. Place muffin into muffin tin. Depending on the size of your tins, you should get about 12 to 14 muffins. Bake them for approx. 20-22 minutes in a 350F oven or until they are golden brown.

*The original recipe calls for 1 cup sugar and 2 tbsp cinnamon, but this was way way too much for me. I ended up dumping maybe more than half of it

Hi all ne new recipes?
I have one that is really good but not exactly diet friendly so I apologize. I make this for my husband's work when they have a pot-luck. I always get many compliments and people asking for the recipe. You all are the first I'm sharing it with cause I always forget to write it down for him to hand out. Besides, if someone else makes it, what am I supposed to send in to work with him lol.

Butterfinger Cake

1 Box of Chocolate cake mix of your choice
2 Boxes of Chocolate Instant Pudding, the kind you add milk to and NOT cook
Butterfingers, 1-2 bags of fun size is more than enough
Cool whip or Rediwhip, whichever you prefer (or homemade whipped cream if you have the time)

Bake the cake per the box instructions. I recommend a 9x13 pan so you only have one to wash later lol.
While the cake is baking take your butterfingers and crush them up. I used to use a food processor but I hate cleaning those things! So instead I take them out of the wrappers and throw them all in a large freezer/storage ziploc bag. Then take a solid object and crush them on a cutting board so you don't damage your counters.
Mix up your pudding while the cake is cooling it doesn't need to be in the fridge long, you want the pudding to be spreadable.

Now the fun part...get a big dish like a 9x13x2....take the cooled cake and crumble it into the bottom of the pan, a thin 1/2 inch thick layer across. Spread a thin layer of the pudding over the cake, then layer some of the crushed butterfinger, Repeat. Keep repeating the cake, pudding, candy pattern till you reach about 3/4 of an inch from the top...when you are close to the top spread a 1/2 inch thick layer or so of the whipped cream over the last pudding layer and sprinkle generous butterfinger crumbs on top. Store in the fridge and serve cold.

This recipe is absolutely divine and rich in flavor. It is addicting so chocolate lover's beware! Enjoy! ;o)

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Thanks for sharing this recipe, it does not have to be a diet conscience one......I know a few guys in my family that will love this one, can't wait to try it : )
I know I'm a day late, but I thought I'd share this...This is one of the recipes I have come across recently! I didn't tamper at it this time around, but next time I might try to reduce the amount of cheese in it, in order to reduce the fat - but it is extremely low in carbs - which I max out on before breakfast is over every single day, so this is excellent for me! It also helps get your servings of vegetables in!

So here it is!

Cauliflower Pizza Crust!

You will need:
One very large head of cauliflower (you need to process it, after processing about 8 cups worth...)
40 oz of herb style (soft) goat cheese (less fat than regular cheese, but you can use that too)
1 Egg

To Start: Preheat your oven to 400*, and boil a pot of water.

Roughly chop the cauliflower, and process in a food processor (or a nut grinder....haha) until a "rice like" consistency is achieved. Add the cauliflower to the boiling water steam for 6-7 minutes! Then strain the cauliflower in a fine mesh strainer, and place the cauliflower on a clean dish towel allowing it to cool. Pull the sides of the dish towel together and twist (over a sink) to get rid of the extra water in the cauliflower.

Then in a large bowl mix together the cauliflower, goat cheese and egg. You can also add some herbs like basil or oregano!

Then, on a pan lined with parchment paper (it really sticks without it, but you can grease it...though I highly recommend the paper) form the crust (if you push it a bit to far and there is a hole, no worries...simply take some dough from a part where it is thicker and press it together - it is not like regular dough)...as you form the crust the consistency seems a bit strange, and it seems like it wont stick together...just to warn...but it does.

Next, put the pan in the oven. The crust will need to bake for a total of 35-40 minutes, depending on your oven. Depending what you want to put on it, how long you bake it before adding the toppings may change....I baked it for 30 minutes, and then added my toppings (tomato sauce, mushrooms, peppers, olives, tomato, green onion....cheese) for about 7 minutes. The crust should look a golden brown color. If you are doing simply cheese and sauce, Id led it cook for the entire 35-40 minutes, and then just broil the cheese and sauce on. :)

After removing from the oven, slice it up and place the pieces on a cooling rack (if you want to be able to pick it up...otherwise moisture seeps in it and it loosing its firmness)....enjoy!
I'll bet you can make a quiche that way too.
hmm probably...I bought another head of cauliflower yesterday with the intention of doing some experimenting...perhaps that is what I will try!

ne new recipes this week?

what special dish will u make for Father's day?

I made home made caramels for Father's Day...they turned out really good, next time I make these I am going to try to cut back on the salt and I am going to add cashews and dip in chocolate when set.

Caramels:

1 1/2 cups (360 ml) heavy whipping cream (has a 36-40% butterfat content)
1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
1 cup (210 grams) packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Caramels: Butter an 8 x 8 inch (20 x 20 cm) baking pan.

In a heavy medium sized saucepan, stir together the cream, sugars, and salt. Place the saucepan over medium high heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Once the mixture boils, with a heatproof pastry brush that has been dipped in warm water, wash down the sides of the saucepan to remove any sugar crystals that may have formed. Clamp a candy thermometer to the side of the saucepan. Boil the mixture over medium high heat (do not stir) until the temperature reaches 245 degrees F (118 degrees C). (If sugar crystals form on the sides of the pan, wash them down with a heatproof pastry brush that has been dipped in warm water.)
Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.

Pour the caramel into your prepared pan and let cool, undisturbed, for at least eight hours, or overnight.
With a sharp knife, (oiled with a tasteless vegetable oil, like safflower), and with a sawing motion, cut into squares or rectangles. These caramels can be stored at room temperature, between layers of wax paper, for several days. Caramels make a nice gift, especially when wrapped in wax paper or cellophane.

Makes about 48 pieces. Preparation time 40 minutes.