3 month post-op UPDATE
Hi All. Just wanted to post an update. I went in for my 3-month post-op MRI this morning. Results were great. My syrinx has shrunk an incredible amount! It's not completely gone yet but now it's just a small line (as seen on MRI) versus a big bubble. I guess that means the surgery was successful!

My lightheadedness has gone away. I still have headaches but I can't distinguish what the cause of them are.. chiari is just too easy to blame. Maybe in time they will go away.

Anyway, my scar's not healing as nicely as I'd hoped. I had some issues with the sutures.. allergic to vicryl so it affected the healing. I think I have some scar tissue on it. I'll have to post a picture soon. But I feel like.. a pimple or something on it. I asked my NS and he just said it's scar tissue. The scar itself feels tough. Hair is growing around it... but I don't think hair will grow where the scar is.

Any suggestions on what to do? massage my scar? use mederma?
hey sounds great...its so good u r not lightheaded anymore...i wish i would have it gone for one day :-) on the scar itself there wont grow any hair anymore, but  around and it will cover everything. i dont have any suggestion for the scar, but selma has some neck exercises to prevent scar tissue maybe u could start with it. there are also some special creams for scare healing in farmacies maybe this is something u can talk about with ur doctor.hope u results keep getting better

Hi...so glad to hear from u and that ur syrinx has shrunk fantastic!!

As for the HA's, they will go in time, it is "normal" to have HA's as u heal, the nerves r coming back to life and may be over zealous, and u will notice that for a while....give urself time, but u will see a diff as time goes, at 1 yr post op and then at 2 yrs u will see a big difference....

Some symptoms as u heal is typical, and should not feel worse then b4 surgery....or last as long,

Sending u healing MoJo ~~~~ for a continued smooth recovery....
PS-
The bumps on ur incision my be hair I had that too, and it was oh sooooooo itchy...but it did get better....and if it is  scar tissue I am sure it is a small area and as long as it is not bothersome, u should be ok.

Keep us posted : )
Congratulations on the syrinx shrinkage:)
thanks all. i think my scar is very dry. (i wash my hair everyday.) it kind of feels like a scab where the skin breaks a bit. there's a pinching feeling when i overstretch the area. i just put some neosporin on it to keep it "moist".
So glad to hear that you are doing well - I hope the scar gets better!

Selma, what exactly do you mean when you say nerves are waking up.....what I mean by that is...when did they fall asleep? ha.

There's ur problem....DO not wash ur hair that often and only use J&J baby shampoo post op. It will dry out the incision. I had these instructions per my NS,.

@SilentSong- the nerves r not working properly with chiari bcuz of the compression, they r not able to pass the signals along, so they r inert, like being asleep....after the surgery, these nerves r no longer compressed and r being used and u can feel it....and they may send too many signals as a result.
selma, i HAVE to wash my hair everyday. i have long hair and my scalp gets really oily. i also don't know how to explain it but when i don't wash my hair for a day, i feel like the oils trap the heat in my head and i get headaches.
it happens almost all the time i don't wash my hair. i can't explain it better than that.

I understand what u r saying, I only know that washing that often will dry out the scar tissue...

Are u using J&J baby shampoo? At least use that so it is gentle......and as far as what u can put on the scar, u may want to ask ur NS and let him know how dry it is.
Hi. So glad to hear that you are healing well, and that your  synrix has shrunk !!! Congrats on that !

I don't know if this will help any or not, but dove just  came out wit a dry spray shampoo and  so did  suave. I am the same way.....if I don't wash my hair everyday...It is soooo oily and icky. I got some of the spray dry shampoo for after surgery and I tried it out....it works pretty good !! It gets you through a day, so that you don;t have to wash every single day. I know when that is what you are used to it is rough, but you may want to give it a try . They have the dry shampoo and conditioner in suave, and that  is what I choose, and honestly it is pretty good. I had my doubts,especially since my hair is picky and like expensive shampoo. Just wanted to let you know of this. Hope it helps some. Like irislita was saying they also havve scar creams like mederma...I would check with your DR first before using it though. Best wishes for a continued well recovery :)